Suzuki Starting Problems after Tilt

aebtiger

Recruit
This is my first posting, so I aplogize if I sound like a knucklehead, but hear goes... I have a 1996 Suzuki 200 HP 2.7 liter DT engine with nearly 800 hours. For most of its life the engine has run like a dream;easy starting, fast and reliable. Lately, however, it has refused to start after running. The typical scenario is that I start the motor with no problem, run the boat (22 Mako) for some distance, then trim the motor up to fish the flats. When I lower the motor it refuses to restart! The engine turns and turns, but will not engage. The problem only occurs after the engine has been run and tilted up. Any thoughts?<br /><br />Thanks! AEBTIGER

mrn714

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Suzuki Starting Problems after Tilt

I suggest carb problem as it woudl be a simple fix. You may have a center jet clogg that clears when dormant. When you tilt up, the clogg moves back in for a time, then as you crank, allows enought fule to get to the intake, and starts. Try a spray bottle (a good one for window cleaner) of fule into the intake when it happens. If the engine fires, it is a fuel supply problem. It does not sound electrical based on your post.

imported_JD__

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Suzuki Starting Problems after Tilt

After you lower your engine back down, try squeezing the primer bulb. Is it firm or soft? If soft, squeeze until tight and see what happens.