Loss of power 1991 Yamaha 175

Walt1296

Recruit
Engine starts fine and idles fine. Top end speed is only 25mph and had been 50 mph. I suspect an intermittant powerpack problem as some times it will accelerate with no problem, and other times, it won't plane off. <br /> How many power packs does the 91 Yamy 175 have? Where are they located and can I test them with an analoge ohm meter? What setting do I use on the Ohm meter. Are the power packs easy to replace and what is the cost? What would be the labor time that I could expect to have to pay if I took it to a shop? Will continuing to run the motor with a bad pack damage the engine? Sorry for so many questions.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Loss of power 1991 Yamaha 175

you can do limited tests with an analog meter. not many on the CDI itself. you have to have a peak reading meter or a DVA adapter for a DVM.<br /> CDI problems are rather rare but do happen as do stator problems. a methodical diagnoses is in order. takes an hour or so to test all ign components if the problem can be recreated at the shop.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Loss of power 1991 Yamaha 175

Howdy, HiTide.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />Troubles are posted in the Troubles Fora.<br /><br />I will move this for you.