2002 Yamaha O66's

Capt. Lou

Cadet
Hey guys, quick question. I am looking at a rig with twin Yam. 225 O66s (2002) and was wondering if there were any major problems with that motor or that year. I have heard they are very good on fuel, any input? The compression is good on all cly. and they "look" like brand new. Other than taking mod. & ser. # to a Yam. dealer, what should I look for?

bernieb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2002 Yamaha O66's

As a owner of a 2001 yammy 066 250, you will learn to trust these engines,all you have to do is "do the maintenance". Go on the yammaha outboard site that Yamaha has to offer and click on the performance on your boat or something like it and it tells a lot.If you don't know the history on this rig ,change out the low pressure fuel pumps and have the o2 sensors cleaned.There are some hard core mechanics on this site that will have sound advice for you.good luck

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> yep go to any dealer, especially the one your going to entrust your baby to. ask to see all the gold bars indicating technical training completion not that it will warrenty you get cometent techs but it may help. have the dealer run the numbers to see what warrenty work was done. if you dont have the maint history then do the following. change the t-stats,pressure valve grommet and water pumps. change the engine low pressure filters and the VST filter. clean and water test the O2 sensor, the flame test in the manual is usless and worse, misleading.use the test harness, a DVM and manually block and unblock the idle air bypass hole for #1 cyl while observing the O2 sensor readings. install new low pressure pumps. then every 3 years do the pumps again. on the rest follow the service schedule remembering its hours OR calander time whichever comes first. I have a 98 225 ox66 in the stack that has 32 hours or so on it. my bet with the other techs is it blows a power head this year cause its had 0 maint cause its only got 30 hours. seems the guys bro-inlaw knows much more than I cause he is a degreed ang-a-neer. test the oil sender and clean the engine oil tank, also change the remote oil tank filter and check the wire connnectors at the pump. after this you will have an idea of the overall condition and maint schedule.

Capt. Lou

Cadet

Thanks guys, everything checked out on the OX66s. I even ran the ser. #s through Yamaha and verified the info. Now all I have to do is wait for the seller to accept my offer.