1989 200 Yamaha problems under load

Hello Everyone,<br /><br />I took my boat out last Saturday for the first time since late December and it fired right up. Did not winterize the motor. Just periodically fired up the engine every two weeks or so.<br /><br />Let it warm up for about 10 minutes. Headed into the channel, everything seemed fine. Increased speed to 2500rpms, everything still fine. Looked ok and water was flat glass calm so decided to go my normal operating speed which was 4000-4200rpm. Boat planed up and was on it's way at 4000rpm at about 23kts. Running great...<br /><br />Then slowly the boat started slowing down and I was NOT touching the throttle. Boat started spitting and sputtering. Turned the boat around and could only get about 1500 rpm and 4kts. all the way back to the dock.<br /><br />The motor revs fine in neutral. Tested it all the way up to 3000+rpm. Just won't accelerate under load. If I push the throttle forward, it just spits and sputters and dies. Took the boat home and changed the plugs but I don't think it's that since it revs fine in neutral.<br /><br />This motor ran fine all last year with over a dozen trips with over 60 miles on every trip. I'm thinking possibly some gas evaporated and gummed up some spots in the carb. But who knows I could be way off. I pulled one spark plug and tested for spark it it sparked up fine.<br /><br />Any ideas. The wait time for the best marine mechanic I know is 3 weeks away. Was wondering if there was anything I could do before that time. The mechanic said it could be anything from water in the gas to the fuel pump to the high speed line in the carb.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br /><br />Erik

Yamahaha

Cadet
Re: 1989 200 Yamaha problems under load

That use to happen to me also with my '90 200. One time it was the fuel pumps (squeeze the fuel bulb while underway to see if it increases rpms). Another time it was water in the fuel (installed seperator & drained gas tank).

I pulled the water seperator and poured what was in it into a clear container and it was pure gas.<br /><br />I pump up that fuel bulb before I start the motor and it stays pretty firm throughout.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br /><br />Erik

Canuck 16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can check your fuel pumps by unscrewing the two bolts that hold each pump to the block, pull the pump away from the motor, and gently pump your bulb up firm. There should'nt be any fuel leaking from the back of the pump. Do this, one pump at a time.<br /><br />Good luck... Canuck 16.

Hello Canuck,<br /><br />I'm pretty novice with Outboards but I would appreciate it if you could tell me where both of them were. I'll check this afternoon.<br /><br />Also, what do you guys think of this being a high speed jet problem? The boat sat for the last 3 months with only periodical warmups every 2-3 weeks in the backyard in neutral.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br /><br />Erik

Also, when the boat is on the trailer and I connect the ear muffs on for the water pump. I fire up the motor and put it into gear and set it to about 1600 rpms, the rpms will vary from about 1300-1600 rpm. If I hold it to 2000 rpm it will vary from about 1700-2000 rpm.<br /><br />Hitting the choke switch will drop the rpms.

Canuck 16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your two fuel pumps are on the port side of your motor, just behind the carbs. Follow the fuel lines from the bottoms of the carbs, they will go into a 'tree' with two or three tee's. The two short fuel lines feeding this 'tree' are coming from your two fuel pumps. The two pumps will each have a flat steel plate facing you, and each will have three phillips screws holding them together ( leave these alone), and two bolts which hold the pump to the motor.

Canuck 16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Forgot to add, I run the exact same motor as you, and do the same thing during the winter (run it on the muffs every 2-3 weeks).<br />I did rebuild my carbs and change my fuel pumps a few weeks ago, but only because I suspected a float sticking, (fuel occasionally running down the midsection of the motor).<br />The Carbs were spottless inside, but I do put Stabil in the tank at the end of the season.

I will check the fuel pumps today.<br /><br />How hard is it to rebuild the carbs?? I saw the triple dual carb setup and instantly got overwhelmed. I've rebuilt Holley 4bbl carbs before and those were a cinch. But triple dual-carbs....<br /><br />How much do those rebuild kits cost anyway? And would I have to rebuild the carbs to clean out the high speed jets? Or is there any possibility of cleaning the carbs without having to rebuild?<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br /><br />Erik

Canuck 16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you have rebuilt a Holley, you can rebuild these carbs. You should have a manual so you know what and where everything is. Do one at a time, and by the time you get to the third you wont even be looking at the manual anymore.<br />You can take them apart and clean the jets without a rebuild kit(s), but definatly replace the float bowl gaskets, and you should replace the gaskets between the carbs and intake manifold.<br /><br />Good luck... Canuck 16.

Are gasket kits available or do I have to buy rebuild kits? What's a round about price on those kits?<br /><br />Sorry for the questions. I'm at work and can't call the local shop at the moment.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br /><br />Erik

Canuck 16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The float bowl gaskets are pn 6E5-14384-03<br />The carb-manifold gasket is pn 6E5-14198-A1<br />You will need three of each.<br />Sorry, cant help with price as I'm in Canada and pay close to double what you would.

Thanks a bunch for those p/ns.<br /><br />I'm going to the parts shop and getting a new fuel filter, those gaskets, and maybe new fuel pumps.<br /><br />I've got a real strong feeling it could be the high speed jets cause the boat was running real good and strong for about 90 seconds then it slowly slowed down to about nothing. All I could do was putt putt back to the dock. It may also be the fuel pump since maybe it took 90 seconds to drain what was in the float bowls and fuel filter.<br /><br />I really just think I sucked some gunk from the old fuel filter into the float bowls and plugged up some jets.<br /><br />We'll see. I'll also get a shop manual so I know what the heck i'm doing with those carbs. I fear the linkages.<br /><br />Erik

Canuck 16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Erik<br />You may want to do some more troubleshooting before you start throwing new parts at her.<br />One excelent way for troubleshooting a fuel problem is to use a "known good" portable cruise a day tank, with a "known good" fuel line and bulb.<br />Filled with fresh fuel, you can plumb it directly to the line feeding your fuel pumps. This way you are bypassing your filter/water separator (if you have one), your fuel line and bulb ( which also may be causing your problems). It would also eliminate the fuel line plug on the front of the motor, and the in-line filter under your cowl.<br />If your motor runs properly plumbed like this to a good portable tank, you know it's not the carbs or fuel pumps causing your problems. Then you start working your way back towards the tank. If the motor still has the same problems, then theres a good chance it is your fuel pumps or carbs.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if you suspect the high speed jets they are not hard to remove. its the 12mm hex plugs at the bottom of each bowl facing port and stbd. make sure you put the proper size jet back in the correct hole. sometimes the sizes are different but the heads are marked with the size.

I'm thinking it's the high speed jets because I was able to run at 23-24kts for about 90 seconds before it started spitting and sputtering. I'm going to check the fuel pumps when I get home since that may also be the problem.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br /><br />Erik

Forgot to add. The spark plugs were very oily and wet on the old ones and moderate after a few minutes of running on the new ones.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br /><br />Erik

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if a pump diaphram is bad it dumps raw gas into the crankcase. I reccomend replacing the pumps every 3 years as a maint item.

Canuck 16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rodbolt<br />I replaced my fuel pumps a few weeks back when I rebuilt the carbs. Naturally, out of curiosity, I took the old pumps apart and they were fine. No tears or pinholes in the diaphram, and they also passed the suck-blow test.<br />Should I save these pumps as backups, or should I just toss them?<br /><br />Thanks... Canuck 16.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

toss them canuck. <br />stang classic66 check your small engine fuel filter for crud. crud here is usually a good indication of the crud you will find in your carbs. <br />what happened to you sounds typical of fresh fuel breaking down green crap in your float bowls(acculmualted during periods of inactivity) then blocking fuel passages. do you notice any cough or slight back fire through the intakes at idle?