'88 Suzuki 115 Spun Hub & PTT Questions

Recently bought a used boat with a 1988 Suzuki DT115 outboard. Ran it a couple of times at the end of the fall and had dead battery problems (after fully charging next attempt to start up would drain it). Other than that, all was good. Fired it up for the first time this year a couple of weeks ago using one of those emergency start boxes and it started right up, but when I gave it some throttle the engine revved up but it didn't pick up speed or plane. Thought it might be a spun hub, though the previous owner had a new prop put on a year ago and it's had minimal use since then. He thought possibly bad gas (I did put treatment in for the winter but it's been in water year round). It wasn't bogging down or anything though, just revving with no corresponding increase in speed.<br /><br />Went down today with a new battery in hand to try marking the prop and see if it's slipping and the power trim & tilt suddenly won't work -- the motor on it runs but it won't lower the engine (it's currently all the way up). Given that you can hear the trim/tilt motor running and everything else electrical seems to be working, I'm assuming the new battery and lack of trim/tilt is an unhappy coincidence and not related; any thoughts?<br /><br />I'm completely new to this and basically know where the outboard is and where the cupholders are...but I'm fairly mechanically apt. So if you don't mind answering as if you're explaining this to a slightly slow seven-year-old, that would be much appreciated.<br /><br />Cheers.<br /><br />-- I should probably note that it's currently in the water and in the short term I don't have a way to take it out (have a trailer but have to get a hitch installed on my truck). Ideally you can point me to a $.39 fuse that I can replace thus fixing everything.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: '88 Suzuki 115 Spun Hub & PTT Questions

Make sure that the trailering support is not flipped down and preventing the motor from going down. You might have someone watch the motor and the hydraulic rams to see whats going on. Does the motor move at all, up or down?

I'll check that out. I hadn't moved it since last use (hadn't moved it ever actually, haven't trailered it yet) but worth looking at. Hard to say if the motor moves at all since it's all the way up currently --- unless I can get it to go down a bit I don't have a way to see if it works going up.<br />Thanks for the suggestion. I'll post back once I've checked it out.

eagleone1973

Recruit

Hi, I also have a boat I bought last year with the 1988 Suzuki 115 oil injected. I have had no problems with anything till this weekend. I took the boat out and the steering started sticking. Then it would turn. Then it wouldn't move. Its doing about the same as yours. It will move at low rpms, but when you throttle up it doesn't move. Motor starts great and runs great. Just doesn't move. Please let me know if you fixed yours and what the problem was. Thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

This is an old thread you posted on.
Please start your own with all your info and questions