Prop for 2002 90hp 2 stroke

pfistey1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
How do you determine what size prop you should use? I see so many options. I have an 18 ft. closed bow, not heavy, running a 2002 90hp 2 stroke. I don't need all the bells and whistles for a prop. Thanks for your help.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop for 2002 90hp 2 stroke

Well, thats good. Not many props have bells or whistles. You want to chose a prop that will allow your motor to reach or be very close to its top target rpm with an average load.<br /><br />When we prop out a new boat we ask the customer to define his intended use. If you have 2 identical rigs and one will be used strictly for skiing and the other for strictly light load top speed, you can see how it could involve 2 totally different props.<br /><br />Tell us more about your rig and the intended use.

pfistey1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No bells and whistles? Darn. Any how. 18 closed bow, if I had to guess weight, 1000-1100 lbs. Seats 4, 2 front, 2 in back. My intended use is for fishing and cruising. Maybe pull a skier. I typically run two 12 gallon portable gas cans. Standard equipment, nothing heavy added. I don't know what else you'll need to know. Thanks for the quick response.

pfistey1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As for the engine, I believe w.o.t rpm range is 5,500. I'm not near my motor, so I'm not sure about it. Thanks.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a pretty standard set up. Thats good info. If we were doing it we'd start with a 3 blade Stiletto in the 17 or 19 pitch range. If the motor is mounted all the way down with the AV plate even with the bottom, we'd probably raise it a couple of holes. <br /><br />You may want to check with Rodbolt but I'm kinda thinking your target rpm's might be slightly higher, like 5800. Especially if youre thinking about pulling a skiier once in a while and still use the same prop. The ideal situation is to have a different prop for skiing, tubing etc. That can double as your spare prop anyway.

pfistey1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Now that you mentioned the rpm range, I recall the tag on the engine mentioning 5500-5800 rpm's could that sound right? Would raising the engine help, I was going to put it on the boat soon. I'll find out over the weekend. How would I go about getting in touch with Rodbolt? <br />Thanks Dhadley.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I'm sure Rodbolt will be along shortly.<br /><br />Raising the engine will reduce drag and that results in better efficiency. However -- engine height, or X dimension, largely depends on prop design. A 3 blade Stiletto tends to like a slightly higher mounting than OE 3 blade props. A Turbo 3 blade, slightly higher yet. 4 blade Turbos, higher again. And so on.<br /><br />If your going to run an aluminum prop a lower X dimension would be advisable. Have you thought about what brand / style prop youre going with?

pfistey1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I haven't. I trying to locate a ss on ebay for less $$$, otherwise I'm going the aluminum route. Any suggestions?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Yep. If you're even thinking about ss, go for it. Take whatever $$ you were going to spend on the alumnimum prop and put it towards the ss.<br /><br />Talk to a couple of performance centers. Most have props that are new but have been tried once. We do. They're new but you can tell they've been on something by the slight grease on the splines. Or perhaps the sticker is partlty missing. <br /><br />I might have other suggestions. If you like you can e-mail me off line at dhadley50@aol.com. Use iboats as the subject.

pfistey1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will take you up on that. Thanks.

Searun1

Seaman

Hey pfistey1,<br /><br />I am running a boat similar to your description. See my link below. I started with a 13 x 19 standard Yamaha aluminum propellor. I was not able to get past 5000 rpms so I traded the prop in for a 13.24 x 17 aluminum and everything works perfect now. I would like a stainless prop though. Might want to save your $$ for the better performance.<br /><br />SeaRun1

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> missed this one. though I dont usually make reccomendations on props other than the stock yam SS is hard to beat for most general applications. full throttle ramge is 45-5500 on that motor. if you propit to trurn 55-5800 at wot with you and some gas it will most likly work out in the 13x17 range.but if max hole shot and max speed is not a concern the yamaha wheels work well.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Rodbolt I couldnt agree more about the Yamaha props being very good. But if you ever get the chance, compare the Turbo Lightning (V6 or Lightning Jr for the V4) on the same rig. Very impressive. Or the Lightning TXP. If you cant get one to try locally, call me. If I have the size you need, I'll send it to you to try.

pfistey1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Searun, my boat is almost identical to yours. How is the 90 running for you? What type of speed are you getting. I'm also upgrading from a 70hp Evinrude and am hoping to see some nice improvement. Thanks guys for the help.

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer

pfistey1:I have a 2003 sea pro cc with a 90 yam on it seem the stock prop did o.k. but would need around 3000 rpm to get on plane .I can't remember the numbers on the replacment prop ,but would think it was a michigan steel prop 13 3/4 by 15 ,compared to the stock prop which was 13 1/2 x17.I did improve hole shot I am up on plane around 2000 rpm and WOT runs about 5300RPM.

Searun1

Seaman

Hey Pfistey,<br /><br />The boat runs really well with the 13.25 x 17 on it. I think it would do better with a ss prop from what I have heard. That 70 got the boat up to 32 mph or so but with a few people in it was very slow (painfully in fact) to plane out. Now with the Yamaha I get 39 to 43 depending on conditions and load. In any event I predict you will love the change in your boat!<br /><br />Searun1