Poor Starting 2000 200HP Yamaha

ktcarter00

Cadet
My motor a 200 fuel injected 2000 model with 750 hrs. Sat up from Sept to<br />December and starts fine when cold but takes 2 or 3 times to start when<br />warm, it is either starved for gas or flooding, it does smoke a lttle<br />more when it starts in this situation. The guy I bought if from says it sounds like the fuel pumps for the<br />enrichment system may have some varnish buildup, a common problem when<br />they sit up for a while, they are about $35 each and he thinks it takes 3,<br />one for each 2 cylinders, he says might spray some cleaner like old<br />Evinrude Cleaner in there & might get it but probably the pumps.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Poor Starting 2000 200HP Yamaha

baloney. take the serial number to a dealer and get them to run it for any coil/plug update work.<br />if you just bought that engine i would take it to a dealer and get them to run through it completely or at the very least tell us the service history. the hpdi is not an engine that likes its service neglected.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

can we get a model number maybe? if it has 3 low pressure pumps ints an HPDI and has no "enrichment circuits" if its not HPDI it has 2 pumps or its not a 200.

ktcarter00

Cadet

It's not a HPDI motor. OX66 Fuel injected. Maintained as directed in the owners manual. Ring Free every tank of fuel. Yamalube oil only. Could the PrimeStart Autochoke be acting up?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

it does not have an enrichment circuit. should have 2 low pressure pumps, they are over due for replacement. also test clean orreplace the o2 sensor, this sensor is rather expensive. the flame test in the manual is usless.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I take it by "Flame test?" your winging it with no manual or basic EFI knowledge.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

that can be bad.<br /> need a manual and some basic EFI knowledge.<br /> EFI is incredibly simple. but some knowledge and test equipment is mandatory. without it your sunk. all EFI motors regardless of how and where its use all use the same basic priciples. if you understand one you understand them all.