Installing lower unit on 2004 V/Max

I'd like to install a lower unit on my 2004 V/Max. (I have it already..was on the motor until last winter)<br /><br />I'm pretty well mechanically inclined. Motor currently has a jet pump on it.<br /><br />Can I do it...Is there some diagrams or instuctions anywhere on-line I can refer to?<br /><br />Help!<br /><br />Thanks in advance!<br /><br />Mark<br />www.FishinMIssion.net

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Installing lower unit on 2004 V/Max

hello<br /> buy a service manual. then go to the dealer and buy all the bolts that attactch the unit. then remove all the jet components including the jet to midsection adapter. move the reverse gate cable to the engine shift linkage, double check that the shift throw and direction are correct, remove the anti-rattle clip from the splined end of the shift linkage under the mid section if used. install the correct water pump on the lower unit. there may be a difference in the water pumps. and now you should be ready to install the lower unit. I have several customers that run both depending on what they are fishing for,

Rodbolt..Thanks!<br /><br />The lower unit is complete. I had the dealer install the jet pump with it's own water pump. I just have a bog of nuts and bolts, a couple of what looks to be spacers and some other odd and end nuts and bolts. The motor has a bay kit on it.<br />I'll get a service manual for reference if I can find one, today before I start.

O.K....I've begun the dis-assembly of the pump...but I see the bolts holding the pump to the exhaust housing are up inside the adapter plate...and appear to be in-accessible.<br /><br />I'm stumped at this point. Retailers won't be open for an hour or two to get a service manual.<br /><br />Help!<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />Mark

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

start at the bottom and work up, pickup screen, impellor, impellor housing etc. and yes some bolts you have to look up inside for.<br /><br />edit. make sure you disconnect the battery before you start any work.<br />another edit. the service manual wont include any information on the jet removal. those instructions come only with the jet.