Inverter Nightmare

smithmv

Cadet
Here's the picture: 700 watt inverter, 10 ft 8awg cable run to bat, max fuse 30 amp, bat are 2 yr old grp 24 starters fully charged but only one is attached 2 the inverter (typical 2 battery setup). Ran phone chargers, radio, flashlight charger just fine. Hooked up a 6oo watt mini 4 cup coffee maker and disaster struck. Right away the low voltage alarm on the inverter went off and it began to surge with the coffee maker turning on and off. Stopped after a few seconds checked everything. Since it was an undervolt I attached a 6 amp charger to the single battery and tried again. This time blew the 30 amp fuse. Will a deep cycle Group 27 help. Since the boat system was on "using the voltmeter", any chance I could have damaged a system/or worse yet something in my motor "salt water series sx 200"? I checked every thing, even engine fuses and everything was fine. Last point, By passed the single max amp fuse box and ran the coffee pot, same low volt alarm but no surge. Noticed the bat voltage dropped rapidly to about 10.5, the undervolt voltage point. At that point I quit while I was behind. Thank for any help. RT

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Inverter Nightmare

Inverters don't do heating well. That will be in the booklet you got with the inverter. It'll do microwaves, but not heating elements.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Inverter Nightmare

I see no mention of a Yamaha or Suzuki outboard here. This must have been intended for Electrics.