outboard & marvel mystery oil

snookin

Cadet
Hi, reading through alot of ring free additives and have personally worked on small air plains, we could not find one motor that had carbon built up or any other varnish using mavel mystery oil. In the late 1970s we started to play around with outboard 2 strokes adding to gas mixtures. 30 years and some, I called an old friend up & beleave it or not John is still using Marvel oil to his 150 outboard motor 2 cycle. After he told me that, theres no doubt that Im going back. 3 ounces to every 10 gallons. 30 years later, how could you go wrong? ;) <br /><br /> Thanks, God Bless<br /> Snookn

kavika

Seaman
Re: outboard & marvel mystery oil

Air plains?<br />It is a mystery.<br />Sounds like an add to me.<br />Snooker me?<br /><br /> http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=chem&id=167 <br /><br /><br /> http://www.vtr.org/maintain/oil-additives.html <br /><br />"All of these products will strip sludge and deposits out and clean up your engine, particularly if it is an older, abused one. The problem is, unless you have some way of determining just how much is needed to remove your deposits without going any further, such solvents also can strip away the boundary lubrication layer provided by your oil. Overuse of solvents is an easy trap to fall into, and one which can promote harmful metal-to-metal contact within your engine." <br /><br />"As a general rule of thumb these products had their place and were at least moderately useful on older automobile and motorcycle engines of the Fifties and Sixties, but are basically unneeded on the more efficient engine designs of the past two decades."<br /><br />"On the other hand, there has been documented, careful scientific analysis done on numerous oil additives by accredited institutions and researchers." <br /><br />"For example:" <br /><br />"Avco Lycoming, a major manufacturer of aircraft engines, states, "We have tried every additive we could find on the market, and they are all worthless." <br /><br />"Briggs and Stratton, renowned builders of some of the most durable engines in the world, says in their report on engine oil additives, "They do not appear to offer any benefits." <br /><br />"North Dakota State University conducted tests on oil additives and said in their report, "The theory sounds good- the only problem is that the products simply don't work." <br /><br />"And finally, Ed Hackett, chemist at the University of Nevada Desert Research Center, says, "Oil additives should not be used. The oil companies have gone to great lengths to develop an additive pack age that meets the vehicle's requirements. If you add anything to this oil you may upset the balance and prevent the oil from performing to specification."

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I think he's leaning a bit more towards it as a fuel additive, however. I would be interested in seeing a similar report on fuel additives. Merc offers Ring Free additive, and of course there's Gumout to remove varnish and Stabil to prevent it in the first place. Could one consider Ethanol an additive? I personally have no experience with MMO as I can't say I've never had need of it. I have tried other additives with mixed results. Otherwise yeah, I think adding solvents to lubricants is about as counterproductive as you can get. Especially if it might interfere with the oil's ability to adhere. If it don't do that, it might as well be water. But is MMO a solvent or lubricant? I dunno. I still think it's nothing more than ATF with a big pricetag.

snookin

Cadet

Thank you,<br /> No I have no needs in "product pitch" and yes I like to fly, Like was saying believe it or not. I have to agree with most of what was said about striping. There is a fine line addding other substance than good old factory oils. I'm happy that Willy B wright is trying to help with boat safty courses, I thank you that someone cares about others than himself.<br /> Thanks, God bless<br /> Snookin

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Marvel Mystery oil has indeed been around for years and has been a proven varnish remover. Rislone is another similar product and both are still avaiable today. Marvel Mystery Oil was used in cars as an upper cylinder lub via an injector (more accurately a siphon device). It could also be added to the fuel or oil. I once rebuilt a seized Toyota that was run without oil. The inside of the valve cover was tye typical burned oil brown. After the rebuild, I told the owner to return for valve adjustment and general once over to make sure everything was ok. Rislone was added to the crankcase of every engine I worked on and for the simple reason the valve cover on this engine was absolutely spotless after only 500 miles. None of the solvents I used, including lacquer thinner would cut that kind of varnish. Rislone is an oil by the way, not a solvent. Today, synthetic oils accomplish the same thing these oils did in "yesteryear".