Rigging a 2002 90hp Yammi

pfistey1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm looking to find out what additional wiring harnesses I'll need to complete my install. I have the 10 pin main wiring harness that comes with the 703 Remote Control assembly. Is there another wiring harness I need for the guages, battery cable hook up, etc.? Or, is it best to buy the Yamaha Tach and Speedo guage kit, which appears to come with guages, wiring harness, etc.? My main question is aroung the battery cables, are there Yamaha specific battery cables that I need to connect from the engine to the battery? If so, are there specific part numbers for them? Thanks for your help.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Rigging a 2002 90hp Yammi

The biggest problem with non Yamaha cables is the size of the connectors to the engine. Some models may require adding a jumper from the postive connection to the wiring harness. The price of the Yamaha cables will make you inventive. You will have to have the trim sending harness for it to work correctly. Yamaha does offer a harness from the control box to the guages. You can also make this up yourself, but be sure you use the same colors of wire as the factory or you can get into a trouble shooting nightmare later if there is a problem.

pfistey1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is where I'm confused. The wiring harness that comes with the guages, are the battery cables or leads a part of that harness? I used to the OMC versions, where the harness from the control assembly has the battery cables as part of the harness. I hope that was clear. Thanks for you help.

pfistey1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just wanted to repost this. Still a little confused, as I'm in the process to purchase the wiring harness for the tach and speedo and want to know if it comes with the battery cables. Thanks

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

They are seperate on a Yamaha. You will not get the battery cables except as a seperate item.