What's Your Tow Vehicle? (Boats Less then 20')

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryBob

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking at buying an I/O powerboat between 18' and 20' and have a Toyota minivan rating for towing 3,500 lbs.<br /><br />What vehicle do you use to tow a similarly sized boat?<br /><br />I'm interested in knowing year, make and model of boats.<br /><br />Thanks!

93evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What's Your Tow Vehicle? (Boats Less then 20')

Not vehicle related but I would recommend trailer brakes for your trailer if not already included as once your weight gets up there it will go a long way in providing for safe towing,especially on wet roads or when a rapid stop is required.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

I've got an 18' Starcraft with 120 HP I/O. Weighs in (with trailer) at 2,600 lbs. <br /><br />I tow with a 3/4 ton GMC because I need it to carry a camper. Right now the boat does not have brakes (local requires brakes on 3,300 lbs) but I won't tow the boat and carry the camper until I do get brakes on it. My truck is rated to tow 9,500 lbs so I really don't notice the boat that much. I'd be a bit worried about towing with a Toy mini-van. Maybe try it before you drop a lot into a boat. Best tow mini-van (IMHO) is the Astro/Safari from GM.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, BarryBob.<br /><br />First of all, as Evinrude suggests, you need brakes on the trailer. Vermont requires them on towed vehicles over 3,000#<br /><br />I have towed long distances on Interstates at 70mph, with no difficulty, a '80 Boston Whaler Montauk 17 (around 2,000#), '81 Boston Whaler Outrage 18 (around 3,000#) and a '98 Boston Whaler Tender 11 (about 700#).<br /><br />My tow vehicle is a '98 Mercedes Benz ML320. It is rated for a 5,000# load (brakes over 3,000#).<br />On the hiway I get 22-24mpg with no load or the Tender, 15-17mpg with the Montauk, 13-15mpg with the Outrage. Temp does not budge pulling long hills, though it does downshift when required.<br /><br />Now before you start fretting about the price of my vehicle, it costs, new, about what you pay for a loaded Explorer, Sienna, or many other vehicles. Mine has 95K miles and is still a new truck.<br /><br />Hope that helps. Good luck. :)

Combee

Seaman Apprentice

1995 Chevy Tahoe 4 X 4<br /><br />I tow a 20’ Flats Boat. It tows it great. I use to tow with a Ford F150, which is still my favorite truck, but it was to light in the backend.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

See signature for boat & tow vehicle. A 20' might be pushing it a bit. My 205 is rated at 2400 lbs dry. Add fuel, cooler, "stuff" and it can jump pretty quick. Then add in the trailer. Keep in mind your true "tow capacity" is based on more than the 3500 stated pounds. Lots of good info in old threads here if you do a search.<br /><br />All that being said, biggest concern I've heard of with minivans is that they are front wheel drive and can have traction problem on steep ramps. Ive never launched with anything but trucks & SUV so I can't confirm that. Maybe those that launch with minivans can shed some light on it.<br /><br />Good luck,<br />BL...

D

DJ

BarryBob,<br /><br />A 18-20 foot boat with an I/O is going to be 3000 to 3500 lbs. MINIMUM. And those estimates are conservative and "dry" weight. <br /><br />You would be surprised how much fuel weighs along with all of the other stuff you take along.<br /><br />Your Toyota is going to struggle and be a handfull on a slippery launch ramp.<br /><br />Trailer brakes are a must.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ford F-250 with a diesel and 5 speed. 24' Pontoon, 16' Bass boat, 14' Jon boat :rolleyes:

Jacques321

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tow a 2000 Princecraft 164 with a Merc 90 4-stroke with my Contour SE V6. (around 1600 lbs.) <br /><br />Not the ideal tow vehicle I'm sure for long distance towing, that's why my boat stays at the lake 99% of the time. But the boat ramp is cement so putting her in and hauling her out is a cinch. If I do tow longer distances I keep my top speed under 70 MPH.

Richard R

Seaman Apprentice

BB<br /><br />Boat 17' Seaswirl 4.3 I/O<br />Truck 90 full sized Bronco (302CID)<br /><br />Towing / stopping is acceptable. <br />However pulling any major hills is a pain. With the family in the truck, coolers, gear and fuel I usually max out at 35 MPH,in 2nd gear. <br /><br />Next time a 351 would be minimum for that heavey of a truck / boat combo.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a New Zealand built (Bonito 585) 19' fibreclass cuddy cabin boat with 115hp Evinrude O/B - all up weighs around 3000 pounds.<br /><br />I tow it with a 2000 Ford Explorer V6 4x4. It's a good working combination. 4 wheel drive is excellent for launching from beaches and slippery ramps. In terms of power for this rig, the 4 litre V6 is adequate.<br /><br />I also recommend brakes on the trailer for a rig that size.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

As stated above, don't under estimate the weigh of a 19' or 20' boat. While my old 19' I/O weighed in at a little over 3700 lbs., my present boat which is only a foot longer weighs in at almost 5300 lbs. I pulled the I/O around for 3 years with a 5.2 Grand Cherokee but made the jump up to a 2001 Burb when I bought the outboard.

L Christopher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BarryBod, <br />Weights vary greatly depending on make of boat and type. Make the weight issue part of the buying process. Give yourself at least 15% margin to your Toyota's capacity and remember that the trailer, toys & gear, and a full tank of gas need to be figured into the weight to be towed. Also invest in a tranny cooler for the Toyota. Good Luck.

L Christopher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BarryBod, <br />Weights vary greatly depending on make of boat and type. Make the weight issue part of the buying process. Give yourself at least 15% margin to your Toyota's capacity and remember that the trailer, toys & gear, and a full tank of gas need to be figured into the weight to be towed. Also invest in a tranny cooler for the Toyota. Good Luck.

rogerwa

Commander

I have an 87 Sea ray Seville 170 with a 3.0l Alpha I Mercruiser. It's a great boat for skiing and cruising, and getting th most out of a 20 gal tank.<br /><br />It weighs in at 1800lbs dry + 800lbs trailer and roughly 160lbs of Gas. <br /><br />I tow it with an expedition which is more than it needs and I could probably tow it with my minivan.<br /><br />When looking at I/O boats, remember that the smallest i/o can weigh in at 500+lbs, where a similarly powered OB weighs half of that.<br /><br />I like my I/O, but if you are marginal on power, it is a place you could reduce..

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

16FT SIERRA L4 3.0LITRE 130HORSE I/O W/FULL TANK AND ACCESSORIES ABOUT 2300LBS WITH A 2002 RANGER 4X4 OFF ROAD 4LITRE WORKS GREAT. THE WIFE HANDLES IT VERY WELL!!!! <br />THANKFULLY AND RESPECTFULLY BART (SEVERELY LANDLOCKED) SR.

y2jericho

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tow my 4.33m de havilland with 65hp mercury with my HSV VT 97 Clubsport.. <br /><br />It has a v8 engine about 300kw so i don't feel a thing :D <br /><br />I don't know how much the boat weighs but 10 people had trouble picking it up to flip it over to be painted<br /><br />thanks

bearman

Cadet

2002 Chev 3500 Dmax / Allison Dually. Of course I also tow a 30.5 ft 5th wheel in front of the boat ;) .<br />Cheers<br />Bear

Heinz CA.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

92 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 I6 , auto w/ 130K on it, '17 alum. fishing boat w/ 40 HP Merc (2 stroke),12 gals of gas and gear, does great on flatland(21.5 mpg) and I usually average 17 mpg(don't ask me why better when towing!!! ????) tows great to CA. Delta area, just got back from 700 mile round trip thru Yosemite(9900' elev.), bit hairy(twisty roads w/ no gaurds at really high elevs.) but did a pretty good job. Cruise at 70 no prob. If I had heavier boat, I'd get V8 Chevy prob. Heinz

pvs0806

Cadet

I'm towing a Four Winns 190 Freedom 4.3L I/O with a 2002 Dodge Dakota 4x2 with the 3.9L V6 and a 5 speed manual. This is all the boat this truck wants. I have troubles holding interstate speeds going up a big hill or against a stiff wind.<br /><br />I think the biggest problem will be pulling out of a steep and/or slick ramp. My truck has limited slip rear end otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it up the ramp a couple of times.<br /><br />If you aren't towing very far you'll probably be OK on the road. I think you'll be disappointed though if you tow a long ways and have a van full of people and stuff.<br /><br />The trailer brakes are wonderful. They've kept me out of an accident or two when someone pulled out in front of me.<br /><br />Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.