General oil question

c-goose

Recruit
I'm running a new 4stk and am wondering what's the difference between containers marked:4-cycle,4 stk and normal vehicle oil? are'nt they the same thing? Or will I be just paying a (marine price)for the same thing?<br /> I'm due for the first oil change soon.<br /> Also lower unit fluid.recomendation is hypoid 90wt.Are'nt lower unit fluids classified in either automatic and mannual shifts?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: General oil question

Welcome to iboats.<br /><br />If it's still under warranty, it's best to use their stuff. It's not required as long as you follow the recommendations, but sometimes it avoids warranty problems.<br /><br />Marine 4-stroke oil is made to be run in a marine environment in a motor that's running redline for hours at a time. They're working on standards as we write. Right now I'm not sure how different they are than car oil.<br /><br />Gearcases use hypoid oil. Some older Volvo Pentas use 10W-30 in their drives, and electric shift models use a thinnish oil with certain additives. Pretty much everything else uses some kind of hypoid oil. Marine gearlubes contain additives to hold water that leaks in in suspension. There are petroleum and synthetic based gearlubes.

JRJ

Commander

Welcome c-goose. By your question, I gather you have a new motor, Suzuki? If you haven't yet, buy a manual for your specfic motor.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Trailer Boats Magazine did a 4-stroke oil test in an early 2004 issue, I think it was March. They tested and compared car oils with outboard manufacturer's oils.