DT-5 Suzuki ,no low end power

feagin

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I have a dt 5 Suzuki that starts after 5 to 10 full choke pulls. When you put it in gear at low rpm, it has no power and dies ( in the 55 gal.test tank).I have swaped out carb and power pack from another dt5 and this did not effect any thing. I suspect possible bad crank seals , intake leak some where?, reed valve, exhaust port restriction or a head gasket problem. What is the most common problem for this complaint. What should the compresion be using a snap-on compression tester? 125psi? The carb works fine on the other dt5 doner. <br /> <br />Any ideas would sure help. Thank's Pat.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: DT-5 Suzuki ,no low end power

Don't know much about the DT5 but you may want to check the synchronization between the ignition timing advance and the throttle plates. If (because the carb works OK on the other engine) the fuel mixture is OK and the engine has spark and compression the only other item is usually ignition timing. Timing must advance properly with throttle. You will need a manual to check this as all engines are different.

feagin

Seaman Apprentice

jimd, Thank's for the reply. I checked the timing plate at full throtle and at idle. It looks like 2 deg.at idle and 25 at 3/4 to full throtle.This was a visual inspetion of the timing linkage.<br />Compression is 100psi with full throtle and 10 crank pulls per cyl. I pulled the head and found the intake and ex-ports very clean. What shoud I check next.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Does pumping the fuel bulb help. If so replace your fuel pump diaphragm. Also check the spark with a spark checker (inexpensive at an auto parts store).

feagin

Seaman Apprentice

I have changed the plugs already with new ngk plugs. They both fire when grounded to the engine case. I will try using a spark checker.<br />New plug cap's and sparkplugs done.It fires after 4 pluls and revs up poorly ,very slow to return to idle and will not respond to throtle or choking more and then slowly dies and is real hard to start. Same as with the doner carb that came off a great running dt5. I think 100 psi compression per cyl should be ok. Good fire and a good known carb. All that's left to question is ignition timing ,crank seals and exhaust blockage or restriction. When I puled the head the ports look clean and open. What's next? The only thing to recheck is more plugs , drain gas and check for water in carb , add new gas ,check timing with timing light. Thank's Pat