Testing Suzuki Trim Sending unit?

R_Andersen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have twin 1988 DT200's and I am trying to troubleshoot the trim guages. I have the digital guages and they consistently read 50 (full trim) no matter what position the motors are in. I removed the trim senders and they move freely. I also connected an ohm meter in all possible combinations between the three leads from the trim senders and I get an open circuit with no change on them. <br /><br />I'm wondering how this system works and how I can determine where the problem is? The senders are discontinued from suzuki so I can not replace them. <br /><br />Thanks for any advice,<br />Rob A.

biederboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Testing Suzuki Trim Sending unit?

Did these trim gauges previoulsly work? Are you sure you're actaully getting full trim and are actuating the senders? If you have the cross-bar on the motor inserted that limits trim angle it may be up too high and limits trim to the point it won't register. I'm not familiar with the digital type but my analog types only register down in the actual trim range (not tilt). Also, check your ground. I think you need ignition power, ground and the sensor input. Make sure they're all properly connected.<br /><br />Good luck,<br />Biederboat

R_Andersen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info. I am not sure if they previously worked since I just bought the boat last year and they were not working when I purchased it. The boat had sat for about 5 years before I bought it too. I have actually removed the sensors from the motors and manually moved them through their full range of motion and I see no change on the guages or an ohm meter when I hook one up. I'm just wondering if anyone has any troubleshooting or testing procedures for the sensors and guages.<br /><br />Thanks Again,<br />Rob

fridays

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With everything plugged in and the power on....<br /><br />Tester pos.+ to the Pink lead of T/T guage and neg.- to the black/white lead. If tested indicates 4 volts..meter is good. More or less than 4 volts..meter is bad.<br /><br />Tester pos.+ to the light green (lg) lead and neg.- to the black/white lead. (A)Trim sender arm in full UPosition should read 800+/-3mv. (B)Trim sender arm in full DOWN position should read 750+/-3mv. (C)If A or B values are out of spec. the sender is bad.<br /><br /> This is of course clean connections, good bat. etc. Good Luck

R_Andersen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks FridaysMarine! That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll let you know what I find.<br /><br />-Rob