Starting a 1988 Suzuki DT140

biederboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello,<br /><br />I recently acquired a 1988 DT140. It supposedly just had dirty carbs as the previous owner ran a tank dry and pulled in a bunch of fowl gas. I cleaned out the carbs which were pretty gunked up in the bowls. Compression is fine (135 all cyls).<br /><br />I had the motor started and running in the driveway and it sounded okay with the exception that it appeared to not have spark on occaision. I suspect the blue/red wire coming out of the elec. module that is grounded at the ignition switch (to stop the motor) may have an intermittent short to ground (either a bare wire rubbing or bad ign. swtich).<br /><br />Today I took it out on the water and it started okay but when I took off at first it was ready to go like a scalded dog I (for a second) but then immediately cut back on power, ran for about 15 seconds, and then stalled. Got it started again with one more short burst of power (never up to full speed) then ran crappy again and finally stalled. <br /><br />In my experience, not running at full power has either been a clogged carburetor jet or bad spark at one cylinder. Can it be anything else (e.g. overall weak spark, bad fuel pump)? I tried pumping the fuel bulb but that didn't change anything.<br /><br />I appreciate any assistance you can give me,<br />Biederboat

D

DJ

Re: Starting a 1988 Suzuki DT140

biederboat,<br /><br />My experience with the DT-140 is that they have VERY sensitive carburetors. You'll have to go deeper into them to really get them clean. I suggest a complete dismantle and a good soaking in carb cleaner. followed by liberal use of compressed air through the orifices. <br /><br /><br />The ignition systems are pretty tough, yet you may want to check out that ignition switch.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

DJ is probably right. If you had that much crud in the carbs you probably missed some. You should also check the oil sensor/filter underneath the oil tank. You might also have a blocke oil screen which will activate a rev limiter. On a newly acquired used engine you should check and clean/replace the oil screen regardless. You should be running 50:1 premix until you verify the oil injection is operating properly (they are very reliable if maintained).

biederboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey thanks guys, I did do a very thorough job cleaning the carbs (I used to have a DT115 so I've been through this routine) but then I didn't do a thorough job cleaning out the fuel & crud that may have been left in the lines. I may have picked up some crud from that. I'll also check the screen.<br /><br />Thanks again,<br />Biederboat

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

By the way you should install a good inline water separating fuel filter. If it has one (doesn't sound like it) change it. You can still get dirty carbs from dried gas/oil residues but you won't get the crud you saw and will be less likely to get water.