New Yamaha's garden hose connector

Tacklebuster

Seaman Apprentice
On my 05 150 and my 04 T8, I have garden hose connectors that allow you to hook up your hose and flush. The boat dealer told me I could hook up the garden hose to the connector and start the motor without using the "rabbit ears". I read the manual and it does not say anything about allowing you to run the motor at idle with the hose hooked to this.<br /><br />Water does stream out of the pee hole when hooked to this when the motor is on so I am guessing it is cooling the motor off but I sure don't want to do any damage to these things.<br /><br />What do you guys think?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: New Yamaha's garden hose connector

You can run the motor slowly with those. Most of the water goes to the powerhead, but some of it backwashes down to the pump. The water is kinda coming from the wrong direction for the water pump. If you run the motor too fast, the pump blows what water it is getting right back up the pipe and burns out the impeller. With muffs you can operate at any throttle setting you dare.

Jammu

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don't start it without "rabbit ears" if you don't want to change the impeller after that!!

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ditto Ya Man<br /><br />That garden hose connection is for your fresh water flush. This is to wash salt or brackish water out of the cooling system to prevent corrosion. The inherent feature of this set up is to be able to hook up a hose to a spicket and let the water run through for a few minutes without having to run the motor. Also make sure you re connect the fitting back to the motor when the garden hose comes off.<br /><br />Now, if you need to run the motor make sure to go for the muffs.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

running the motor without the earmuffs is bad.<br />the hose attachment is not meant for running.

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Tacklebuster,<br />You are correct, the Manual say You should not<br />run the outboard while using the garden house connector:<br /><br />"Flushing power unit:<br /><br />Perform this procedure right after operation<br />for the most thorough flushing.<br />1. After shutting off the engine, unscrew the<br /> garden hose connector from the fitting on<br />the bottom cowling.<br />2. Screw the garden hose connector onto a<br />garden hose which is connected to a<br />fresh water supply.<br />3. With the engine off , turn on the water tap<br />and let the water flush through the cooling<br />passages for about 15 minutes. Turn<br />off the water and disconnect the garden<br />hose.<br />4. When flushing is complete, reinstall the<br />garden hose connector on the fitting on<br />the bottom cowling. Tighten the connector<br />securely.<br /><br />Page 44, Yamaha F150 Owners's Manual.<br /><br /><br />Flushing with the flushing attachment:<br />...<br />4. Install the flushing attachment over the<br />cooling water inlet .<br />5. Cooling system flushing is essential to<br />prevent the cooling system from clogging<br />up with salt, sand, or dirt. In addition, fog-<br />ging/lubricating of the engine is mandato-<br />ry to prevent excessive engine damage<br />due to rust. Perform the flushing and fog-<br />ging at the same time.<br />6. Run the engine at a fast idle for a few<br />minutes in neutral position while supply-<br />ing fresh water.<br />...<br /><br />Do not run the engine without supplying it<br />with cooling water. Either the engine water<br />pump will be damaged or the engine will<br />be damaged from overheating. Before<br />starting the engine, be sure to supply water<br />to the cooling water passages.<br /><br />Avoid running the outboard motor at high<br />speed while on the flushing attachment,<br />otherwise overheating could occur.<br /><br />When using the flushing attachment, main-<br />tain adequate water pressure and a steady<br />water flow.<br />If the overheat warning device is activated,<br />turn the engine off, and consult your<br />Yamaha dealer."<br /><br />Page 42-43, Yamaha F150 Owners's Manual.

kavika

Seaman

1997 200 hp Saltwater II Someone said the "garden hose attachment" will not totaly flush the system when the thermostats are closed.<br /><br />I do not have have an owners manual and the online 1998 200 manual does not mention the attachment all though the parts list call it a "flush kit".<br /><br />I have attached a quick disconnect fitting system to use a Salt A Way flush kit. I do NOT run the engine when the flush attachment is in use, but the engine is tilted up out of the water.<br /><br />It seems to work great. I use the remaining salt a way to wash off the entire boat with no water spots! No wipe down required.<br /><br />Why would Yamaha install a flush kit if it did not rinse out the entire water way in the engine?

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My preferred flushing method is using the muffs. If the boat is moored the muffs can't be used thus the garden hose connector.

mike paulson

Recruit

Like Bo said, DO NOT run the motor when flushing with the garden hose attachment. This method works best if you flush the motor immediately after using it.