Winter storage.

smithmv

Cadet
I live in the south and don't usualy go through a winterization proceedure. I don't fish or boat at all from about Nov-Feb, but am back in the water for good in early March. What I do is fill with fresh gas and ring free and then hose crank and run for 10 min or so every couple of weeks. I have heard horror stories about gas coating injectors, etc when boats are stored. Should I use a stabilizer, is what I am doing ok, is four months enough time to mes anything up? RT

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Winter storage.

You will get tons of opinions on winter storage procedures. I've found the hardest info to pull from is actually the manufacturers themselves since they start every other sentence by saying something like "we recommend you bring it into an authorized ******** dealer for any routine service" Not a real helpful feeling but this gives me the impression they don't want to offer too much "free" service information. I am not a cheapskate but I feel perfectly capable of changing my own plugs, oil, filters, and other small preventative maintenance tasks. Plus the dealer is over a 100 mile round trip for me which means after I return to get the boat I've logged over 200 miles to and from the dealer.<br /><br />Now to answer your question:<br />In cooler climates where things get into the single and sub zero temperatures, we have to be careful there is nothing in the motor that has potential of freezing up and cracking. You probably don't have to worry about this in your area but in a warmer climate you will have to worry more about condensation into the fuel system and evaporation of fuel resulting in the residual varnish as you indicated. A good fuel stabilizer will probably serve you well until it's time to visit the water again. You also may want to consider installing a fuel/water seperator if you don't have one already to capture and drain off condensation which has built up in the tank during your storage periods.<br /><br />Also, consider keeping a logbook with when and how much fuel and stabilizer you put in along with your other maintenance tasks. It is easy to forget and hard to prove specifics when you are left to guessing.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I live in a mediteranian climate without the risk of freezing. The advice from techs here equates to what you are doing except that they are not big on stabilizer or ring free providing you use a good oil in the case of 2 stroke. Starting and running every couple of weeks is also good for you battery if you run it long enough to repace+ what you use to crank it.

smithmv

Cadet

Thanks all. I failed to mention its an 03 200 saltwater series ox66. Do have a sep and also do plugs and foot oil etc. Question? Ever hear about using a Penzoil full synthetic instead of Yamalube? Less Smoke and build up. RT