lower unit lower seals

smithmv

Cadet
While changing the oil on my Yamaha 200 saltwater series I was using a hand pump on a gallon jug of 90# gear oil. After filling to capacity I replaced the level check plug (top) and keeping positive presssure on the pump prepared to replace the bottom screw. In so doing I apparently put to much pressure on the pump and forced a little oil through the rear seals. After cleaning up and resetting everything,the rear seals have been dry ever since. I have run the boat once, still dry. Dealer says they are not blown, just expanded a little and resealed as designed. Questions: Am I alone or has someone else seen this, Are there seals at the other end of the shaft I coulda screwed up, anybody have lower unit expertise that will share the knowledge. Reel Therapy.. on the couch and waiting. Ya'll hurry this time is expensive!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: lower unit lower seals

hello<br /> yamaha places the seal with both lips facing aft. it is different from almost everyone else. its not uncommon if someone has the vent plug in and hits the pump another lick or to to force oil past the seal lips.<br /> the seals are not designed to hold much internal pressure but to keep the water out. odds are you have no damage. its funny but with no design change the pressure test specs have climbed from 2.8 psi to 14.2.

Kiekhaeferscurse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I find it hard to believe that you could actually blow oil past a seal with that little lube pump. But i guess Sh_t happens, seals typically maintain pressures upwards of 15 lbs.<br />I think your dealer is correct and your okay, but it never hurts to keep checking. If you leave top plug in and just crack the bottom plug you wont loose any oil but if water's present in will come out first.<br />Cheers<br />P.S. thats not 90# hypoid gear oil is it?The car stuff?

smithmv

Cadet

Originally posted by Kiekhaeferscurse:<br /> I find it hard to believe that you could actually blow oil past a seal with that little lube pump. But i guess Sh_t happens, seals typically maintain pressures upwards of 15 lbs.<br />I think your dealer is correct and your okay, but it never hurts to keep checking. If you leave top plug in and just crack the bottom plug you wont loose any oil but if water's present in will come out first.<br />Cheers<br />P.S. thats not 90# hypoid gear oil is it?The car stuff?

smithmv

Cadet

Originally posted by Kiekhaeferscurse:<br /> I find it hard to believe that you could actually blow oil past a seal with that little lube pump. But i guess Sh_t happens, seals typically maintain pressures upwards of 15 lbs.<br />I think your dealer is correct and your okay, but it never hurts to keep checking. If you leave top plug in and just crack the bottom plug you wont loose any oil but if water's present in will come out first.<br />Cheers<br />P.S. thats not 90# hypoid gear oil is it?The car stuff?
No just the Yamalube gear oil. My understanding was it's 90 weight.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> that little hand pump is capeable of over 50 psi with not a lot of pressure. the average hand grease gun can make over 1000 psi.