putting 115 yamaha 25 inch shaft on 20 inch transom

hookless

Cadet
Can i do damage to an engine if it sits 2 inches below the hull. I do not want to add a jack plate to the boat. The shaft is 25 inches but the transom is 20. I think it will just be alittle slower doing this. If still propped right is this fine? Thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: putting 115 yamaha 25 inch shaft on 20 inch transom

will lose a lot of power. will use a lot more fuel and it may acuaully spray water up the transome and into the splashwell.<br /> I built a transom extender out of 1/2 al plate. I used a 25" motor on my bass boat <br /> my advice is to use the motor mounted at its correct height.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

like Rodbolt says, you will regret it if you do so. Bob's machine sells a jackplate that will turn in for a 2/12 inch set back. It should give you enough height to do the job.

Kanadakid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, Ray is giving you the right advice. depending on the engine there may be enough holes to set it 5 inches higher. If not get the plate. The boat just won't handle right and you may putt way to much strain on the steering with the increased drag.<br /><br />loose you steering at WOT with some folks in the boat spells disaster !<br /><br /><br />Kid