Problems with 2005 Suzuki 4 Stroke

cpoole

Recruit
Has anyone had a problem with a rattle in the lower end of either a Suzuki or Johnson 4 stroke outboard? The rattle only occurs while the boat is in the water and only at idle speed. I do a lot of slow trolling and the noise is very annoying. As you speed up the motor, it will stop. The dealer says all these motors make this noise and nothing can be done about it. Suzuki says it is not a defect and does not come under the warrenty and therefore any noise is normal. I'm just about at my wits end on this and any help or info would be appreciated. The motor is a 2005 model with an offset drive shaft. My opinion is this shaft rattles at low speed and Suzuki is not going to admit they have a problem. The dealer admits the rattle, but since Suzuki will not do anything, he can't. Suzuki puts it back on the dealer. Does the Johnson 4 stroke (made by Suzuki) have the same offset drive shaft? Several friends have this motor and it does not seem to rattle.

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Problems with 2005 Suzuki 4 Stroke

What Horse power, what kind of prop and hub? Correct thrust washer must be used and the prop nut must be tight to specs. Gear oil? Idle rpm must be correct. Sounds like a rigging problem to me.

cpoole

Recruit

Clanton, thanks for the reply and I'm sorry I did not include more info. The motor is 115 HP and the dealer just did the 20 hr. check on it. The original prop was an 18 pitch S/S, but it over reved and a 20 pitch prop was installed that seemed to help the rattle somewhat. I have to assume the hub is the standard hub and the gear oil was just changed. The prop should be tightened to specs, but I did not do it. I have to assume the thrust washer is ok also. The dealer is aware that changing the idle rpm might stop the rattle, but he says it is set electronically at the factory and he has no way to change it. He and the Suzuki rep. are scheduled to put the boat in the water next week and check it out, but from what I've heard thus far, I don't think they are going to do anything. I cannot imagine Suzuke building an engine that rattles like this one does and say it is normal and they all do it.<br /><br />Thanks for the reply and any suggestions or remarks you might have will be greatly appreciated.

clanton

Rear Admiral

I know the Suz rep, you are in good hands. The idle is adjustable, but if it is in specs there is no need for adjustment.

imported_JD__

Petty Officer 1st Class

cpoole, I have an '04 Johnson/Suzuki 140 4-stroke and have not experienced any rattle. I know from first hand experience that a Merc prop with the Flo Torq delrin sleeve will create some chatter because I sometimes run a Merc Trophy. The delrin/plastic sleeve is a hard material and doesn't absorb noise and vibration like the rubber hub variety. I agree with clanton, check for the correct thrust washer and make sure everything is tight. What brand prop are you running?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Many Yamahas and some 2 cylinder OMC's would sometimes rattle when idling in gear. The rattle would not occur if the engine was in neutral or if the rpms were advance a small amount.<br /><br />If this is your case, the sound is the driveshaft and/or propshaft moving slightly. There is not enough "load" on the gears to hold them tight against their bearings. Sometimes a change of prop will eliminate it, or increasing idle speed slightly, yet staying within specs. Some Yamaha motors had to install a wave washer and retainer on top of the water pump to "preload" the driveshaft to keep it from making noise at idle.

cpoole

Recruit

Thanks for the replys and info. I have forwarded your replys to the dealer and hope something can be done. The Prop is a Suzuki Prop and the hub is rubber.<br /><br />They are slated to do some tests on it next week and I will post what they come up with.<br /><br />Again, thanks for your suggestions. They sound very logical to me.<br /><br />Charles Poole

FL Chaos

Recruit

Switch to an aluminum prop and the issue will most likely go away. I went from aluminum to stainless and now I have the same rattle that you describe. The dealer down here said that's normal with the Suzuki between the 2 types of props.