Tilt Trim at WOT

Kanadakid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need your help please. Yamaha F90 is it ok to adjust the power trim once I am on plane at WOT ?<br /><br />Also what is the maintence on the tilt trim unit itself. The maunal doesn't discuss this at all.<br /><br />The engine is garage kept so rust shouldn'y be a problem.<br /><br />thanks<br /><br />Kid

Steamboat

Seaman
Re: Tilt Trim at WOT

The outboard is designed for the "trim" feature to be used in all conditions and at all speeds. The "tilt" feature uses a smaller hydraulic ram and should not be used at anything above idle or very slow speeds (no speed is the best for title applications). I'm not sure the tilt motor is strong enough to actually do much if applied when the motor is at WOT.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

your motor wont tilt at all at wide open throttle and the engine would probably break out before you even got it to this point. <br />maintenance is minimal on these units. to prolong the life of your rams keep the motor in the down position during storage.

Kanadakid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ben /steam<br /><br />I am now a little more confused, please let me explain. when I starting out I lower the engine to its lowest point. <br /><br />Once on plane I use the power trim / tilt to adjust the engine to its best performance position. <br /><br />Is it OK to adjust the engine position while on <br />plane WOT ?<br /><br />Thanks for your help<br />Don

shep70057

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Trimming your motor at WOT is not going to hurt your Trim system. That is what it's designed to do. Get your boats attitude for better efficiency. If you get into the Tilt part of it, you are probably bouncing around pretty good by that point.

Triton II

Commander

You don't state what year your F90 is. Many later four-stroke Yams have a tilt lock out that stops the motor tilting (but allows trimming) when above idle. My 03 F60 trims all the way up and down at any speed, but won't tilt above idle. This is a safety feature. Do you have a trim gauge? If so, try the following test.<br />When parked up put the motor in the fully down position. Check the gauge - it should show fully down. Then use the trim/tilt button on the side of the motor to trim up. The main trim motor will start to lift the motor. Keep trimming up watching the lower leg. It should smoothly trim up about 6 inches then hesitate, then start moving up more quickly accompanied by a slightly louder electrical motor noise. This is the point when the tilt side of things kicks in.<br />Trim back down and then up until the hesitation point. Stop trimming and check the gauge. It should show fully up. When you're on the water this is the range you can use. If the motor keeps coming up when you're above idle, then you don't have a lock out or it's not working. I suggest restricting your trimming to the range shown by the gauge as you wouldn't want to bugger the tilt motor.