To shock de-carbon or just keep running ring free, or both?

Bob Finch

Cadet
Another one of those things I hear different opinions. I run twin 250 sws 98' I know there is a lot of carbon in both engines, it see it on top the pistons when changing the plugs, I also have to clean the 02 all the time, a lot of smoke on start up etc. I have read about methods of "shock teament" with Seafoam etc.and running the mix through at mid to high rpms etc. However once that tough carbon becomes free the pieces could be large and be flying around the cylinder, I do not think that would be a good thing. Should I just let "lying dog(carbon)lie", rodbot, I think that your opinion. One more questin, in general how may cleaning can I get out of a O2 senor before I should replace, I have not purchased test kit yet. thanks

Robert Finch

Cadet
Re: To shock de-carbon or just keep running ring free, or both?

If the engines are running fine, I would not do the seaform shock treatment. Some may disagree, ring free should help carbon from getting worse?<br />Pieces of carbon floating around the rings would be a bad thing. Just my thoughts..?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Ring Free will prevent formation, not clean it. I believe the main ingredient of Ring Free is the difference between TCW2 and TCW3 oils. If you're running TCW3 (you can't get anything else anymore), then you're essentially already running Ring Free already.<br /><br />As far as breaking off chunks and doing damage, decarboners liquify it. Souldn't be a problem. The solid stuff stays put until it dissolves the next times around.

BillP

Captain

Do a decarbonize job.

Robert Finch

Cadet

Got it thanks, you guys answered my question. I will decarbonize. The Seafoam method (a lot of Seafoam in a few gals of gas) and run mid range at dock for 15 min, is the way I hear to do it, sound correct? I will have to rig up some system to by pass the main tanks, but thats easy. I just want to make sure the method is right... Thank you

sangerwaker

Commander

Read this out of the FAQ section. It should clarify any questions you may have.<br /><br /> Decarbon FAQ