Twin 150

BlueBlood

Recruit
HI, I have a 89 Grady White Trophy pro wth twin 200 Johnsons and its time to repowers.Spoke with Grady and they said new 200 4strokes to much added weight on back. So my choice might be yammy 150 4strokes. Anyone run this setup and how does it perform?

Steamboat

Seaman
Re: Twin 150

Go to the Yamaha web site and look for their 4-stroke boat test and find a boat si,ilar to yours and you'll get a general idea of how it should perform. Did you ask G-W what they recommend to put on your boat?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I've rigged a few of those on smaller boats. Just like the 115s, only bigger. They're good motors and will troll all day if that's what you want. But you'll lose a lot of top end from running twin V-6s. Fuel economy should improve, but not if you were running at 45 at 3/4 throttle and want to stay running 45. That'll prabably take full throttle. Those are numbers I pulled from thin air, but you get the jist.

cowboyup

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A coworker of mine has an 1987 25' Grady with a cut-out transom. The boat originally came with twin evinrude 175's. He called Grady to ask if twin 150 four stroke Yamahas would be too much weight. They said no problems. He spent the 21K's and put them on. With two people standing next to the motor splash well, and 2-3 ft seas, seawater was coming over the transom (around and between the motors). In addition, seawater was backing up through the scuppers. I haven't personally been on the boat, so i can't say if he's overweighted in the rear (size and placement of rear gas tank, water tank, gear etc, rotten stringers, transom etc..) to begin with. But so far he's had to "fill in" around the motors as best he could with starboard. I think he still has to wear the white go-go boots, although he won't admit to it. I'm just passing along he told me, so i'm sure it's not the gospel truth. After all, fishermen stretch the truth just a tad. Anyway, it would be nice to verify other stories with that set up. I'm sure there plenty of 25' Grady's that are thinking of that exact setup. It would seem a logical choice. I think the 150 four stroke yamahas weigh in at 475, give or take a few. Good luck.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

4stroke 150 yamahas actually weigh slightly less then the yamaha 150 2stroke.

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

Pez Vela, a 1987 Grady White Sailfish 255, has been repowered from twin 150 Yamaha 2-strokes to twin 150 Yamaha 4-strokes. With only 50 hours on the new rig, my observations are as follows: weight increase is slightly noticeable but well within normal limits regarding bouyancy; acceleration less but top end about the same (32+ knots); fuel consumption is less (about 1.6 nmpg with 4-strokes versus 1.0+ nmpg with 2-strokes). Rigging issues should be thoroughly considered as some modfications may be required. Overall, I feel like I have a new boat. Go for it!