yamaha 2001 115 electrical problem

vineyard

Recruit
Electrical problem, put key in ignition all guages work turn key and you can hear selenoid click but guages short out. Starter never turns just hear seleniod click. Batteries are fully charged and starter can turn by hand, not froze.How do I tell if it is in ignition, selenoid or starter. Or do I just bite the bullet and bring it in.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: yamaha 2001 115 electrical problem

bite the bullet and fix your terminals<br /> trust me it aint shorted. most people wont know a short from an open if it caught fire and burned them. if it shorts it smokes<br /> what you describe is a loss of voltage when the starter tries to engauge. thus taking all the avalible voltage from every thing else. normally caused by a bad or loose cable end.

vineyard

Recruit

I'll try cleaning the terminals but the voltage meter on my graph is measuring 12.4 volts and this is hooked up as an accessory. All the electrical items work fine at full speed and strenght lights, power tilt, and meters.

vineyard

Recruit

I cleaned the posts on both batteries so they look like new and still nothing any other ideas for me to try??????? Help!

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

check all the battery cable connections everywhere. you have a large volt drop somewhere.<br />wiggle all the wiring around the starter and solenoid. if you have a battery switch remove it and check the connections at the back. were your cables ever extended? check their entire length for any kind of join and check it for corrosion.