Whats a good prop for Yam 90hp?

ed72vette

Seaman
What is a good name brand prop for my Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke? I am considering a Hustler. Thanks for the help.<br />Ed

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Whats a good prop for Yam 90hp?

hello<br /> chose one that allows it to turn at the top of its operating range with a medium load. why not use a yamaha alum? they work good and fit right everytime

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

In our area the top performing prop for that engine has been the Yamaha basic stainless prop. The aluminum props have not been a favorite (short life expectancy) due to where they are used.

Triton II

Commander

Don't know if this is right place to ask about a prop for my FT60B Yamaha, so I'll apologise in advance for my lack of forum manners if it's the wrong place. But, anyway, here goes. The motor came with a 13.5in x 15 pitch Yamaha aluminium prop. The motor powers a 16.5ft Quintrex Cuddy Cabin that weighs about 1400lbs with motor but without fuel. The problem is the thing seems a little bit over-propped... it does 4kts (GPS) at idle and will only rev to 5400rpm one up or about 28kts with a half tank of gas (11 US gallons). I'd like to slow down the boat at idle to about 3kts and see a few more rpm (about 5900)at WOT in the hope of maybe getting an extra knot or two out of her.<br />I know I should have put an 80 on the thing, but the fourstroke Yam 60 weighs 270lbs whereas the 80 weighs in at close to 400 and I (probably falsely) thought the extra weight would create extra drag and reduce the performance gained by having 20 more HP.<br />Sorry, started rambling... anyway, my questions are: What size/brand prop should I look at to achieve the objectives listed above? Is a SS prop worth the extra money? Any help gratefully received.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Trition II, pitch down 2" off your present prop.

Triton II

Commander

Thanks for the advice Cobra. Been reading throughout the forum and it looks like most people reckon Stainless Steel props are the way to go. So I'm on the lookout for a SS 13.5 x 13.

Triton II

Commander

Oh dear... it seems I can't a 13.5 x 13 prop. I've found a 13-5/8 x 13 and a 13-1/4 x 15. Which one would be best?

Triton II

Commander

Thanks Rodbolt. Don't you ever sleep?

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by Triton II:<br /> Thanks Rodbolt. Don't you ever sleep?
The same question crossed my mind a few times. :p <br /><br />Aldo

Triton II

Commander

After some investigation I've found a company here in Aus who distribute Solas props. They make a suitable 13" pitch SS prop called a New Saturn which retails for Aus$495 (about US$385). Does anyone have any experience of this brand and more particularly of the model?

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

typically dropping pitch then changing material from alu to ss wont net you as many rpms. ss has less flex, therefore it wont bend away from the load as much as an alu prop. find a dealer that will loan you a test prop and go from there.

Triton II

Commander

BenC, thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go, however customer service in Australia is a phrase that means not a lot to most of our dealers. I'll let you know how I go...

Dunaruna

Admiral

Solas has a good reputation - but to rich for me.<br /><br />Triton, my local prop shop spins um up on a computerised thingy (or sells you a new one) and when they are finished doing whatever needs to be done they guarantee it will perform to your requirements or replace it. Its as good as borrowing (which they also offer in some cases). I'm sure you can find a similar deal in the second best city in the country :p <br /><br />Aldo

Triton II

Commander

Thanks Aldo, sound advice. Pray do tell... what's the best city? :D