Suzuki 6 hp won't start

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander
I just bought a cottage that came with a few goodies, one of which was a Suzuki two stroke 6 hp (2 cylinder). I don't know the year of it. It's a grey color.(I have yet to get the serial number off of it to find out the year of this engine.) It wouldn't start for anything. Not even a sputter. I checked for spark, which I have. Gas was plentiful as I could see it dripping out of the carb. <br /><br />I get the strange feeling, this motor was put away with the mixed gas still in the carb for at least 6 months to maybe a year ago. The neighbor mentionned that he never saw the fellow use it all summer. Are these engines sensitive to gumming up if the gas/oil mix is left in?<br /><br />My next step is to take off the carb and give it a thorough cleaning and then try again.<br /><br />Also it shows on the motor a 100:1 oil mix ratio. I've heard to never to run any engine at that mix level. 50:1 should be best and correct?<br /><br />I find this engine rather heavy and large for a 6 hp. I'm real curious to see this engine in action on my 14 ft aluminum boat. Anybody have one of these? In general, how are these engines?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Suzuki 6 hp won't start

Howdy, Cobra.<br /><br />I agree with the 50:1 mix decision.<br /><br />Before you start "fixing", find out what the cause of your trouble really is.<br /><br />Fuel dripping from the carb does not mean that a correct fuel/air mix is getting into the engine. It may signal carb trouble of a different kind, like a stuck float. Getting spark does not mean that it is occurring at the correct time.<br /><br />Do the troubleshooting in the "Outboard Wont Start" post in Engine FAQs. You will probably end up overhauling the carb, but you will have verified that that is the cause of your no-start condition.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Suzuki 6 hp won't start

I have a 1986 Suzi 6HP which is a 100:1 motor.<br />With due respect to J.B (We all do), the 50:1 mix will cause problems with plugs oiling up on this baby.They are designed to run at this mix.<br />It's a great little motor and you won't be dissapointed.Take out the plugs and clean them up. Check the little inline filter near the fuel inlet. When she starts, adjust the pilot screw until to mixture is right. I had this problem last summer when I towed the boat interstate without using the motor (kicker) for 4 weeks. It got a bit of oil on the plugs and gum in the carb and would not start until I gave it a good clean. Go here www.brownspoint.com and sign up to get good info on Suzi's<br /> http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=527/2274suzi_run3-med.jpg