water in lower end

dburr

Seaman
Hey Guys,<br /><br />I was starting to winterize my boat and while draining the lower end oil I notice it has some water in it. I drained it all and refilled it with new oil. The question is Im in Canada and it will most certainly get below zero here so if there is still water in there it will freeze. With that said should I have it serviced now to fix the problem and make sure all the water is out or would you think since I changed the oil all the water is out.<br /><br />Basically can I wait until the new year to service the seals and tear it apart or should it be done now before it gets cold?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: water in lower end

hello<br /> I would worry more about any water left on the upper driveshaft bearings. if there is it will cause the bearing and bearing surface to rust.<br /> good luck and keep posting

dburr

Seaman

I spoke to the marine mechanic about it and he said its most likely just agitated oil that i saw.....becuase I did not visually see any water run out when I first released the bolt and I had used the motor about a day before. He Said I should not worry much at all, and just change the oil and next year use it once or twice let it sit for three days and then check the oil, if in fact there is water in there then it will most likely need a new prop seal. Does this sound right to you guys? he said not to worry about water being in there, he said if there was enough water to cause a problem over the winter I would of saw it when I changed the oil.

Osprey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did the original drained oil look milky or muddy brown? Or did it just look like used gear oil? Water in gear oil is not like water in fuel. The two will not seperate, they mix resulting in discolored goo.

I have owned a ’86 150m motor since ’87 and have always changed my own lower end oil. Usually twice a year, depending on hours. On occasion I’ll have a small (tablespoon) of water in the oil, and have found that if I drop the engine down to let it drain, both the upper end and at the prop, rather than tilting it up right a-way to hook-up the transom saver, there has been less and less water in there. Another thing I started to do several years back, that is to save a quart Mayonnaise jars after sending them threw the dish washer and putting the oil that I have drained, from a very clean container, into the jar and letting it set for a week or so. The water that’s in the oil will separate to the bottom of the glass jar and you can visualize how much water was in the lower unit at time of the change..

DHPMARINE

Captain

At one time,pulling the drain plug and getting water before oil was a good sign of bad seals.<br /><br />Lately the gear oils are changing,and holding the h2o in suspension.So all you see is 'milky oil '<br /><br />DHP<br />i do wonder what agitated oil is

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

freezing water is only a problem when it expands beyond the point allowed by the space it is in. only then is it a problem. gearbox leaks are quick to test for.

Triton II

Commander

I've got an 03 Yam FT60B that has just done 200 hours. I drained the gearcase oil and it was opaque light brown rather than clear. I let the oil settle in a clean jar as suggested in this forum and about a half teaspoon of water separated out. BenC says that "gearbox leaks are qyuick to test for". My question is: "How?"

fastkenny

Seaman

re: Osprey's qustion above - 'Did the oil look milky, or muddy brown?'<br /><br />Are they both indicators of water in oil, therefore a likely bad seal, or is there a difference?<br /><br />When I changed lower oil in mine, one motor was clear, the other was sorta muddy brown looking<br /><br />thanks

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

i have noticed fast kenny that some counter rotating gearboxs chew oil a little faster, turning it darker quicker.