Yamaha fuel gauge

Searun1

Seaman
I have a friend that reccomended I get a Yamaha fuel consumption gauge. Not the fuel level/speedo/battery gauge but a fuel consumption gauge.<br /><br />According to him the traditional fuel gauges are never all that reliable with the bouncing around and such. The fuel consumption guage tells you how much you are really consuming and thus apparently gives you a better idea of both engine condition and fuel level.<br /><br />Anyways I cant find one on the Yamaha website?<br /><br />Any help would be appreciated!<br /><br />Searun1

Osprey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha fuel gauge

Yamaha calls it Flowscan - Fuel management system<br /><br />I believe the basic unit for a single engine setup is around six to seven hundred dollars and this would not include installation.

Searun1

Seaman

Ouch!!! Guess the fuel gauge will work just fine for now.<br /><br />Searun1

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I bought a Floscan in 1999 for my 1992 20' Tiderunner that I have a 150 Yamaha on. I paid $300 for it then. Think I got it at Boaters World or West Marine. <br /><br />You need to pick the right size for the size of the engine. Then run it, check your fuel consumption, calibrate the meter. You might have to redo this calibration 3-4 times to get it close to your actual consumption.<br /><br />I am sold on mine. It may vary slightly depending on whether I troll with the big motor or not. But usually I can be within 1/2 gallon + - of the actual usage when refueling 40 gallons or so.<br /><br />You will also be supprised at how you will begin to throttle back to find a good consumption rate. Many times only 200 RPM will make a difference of 10 & 13 GPH with little change in actual speed.<br /><br />Once I spent a long week-end at Neah Bay & was limping along on a low tank the 3rd day as we were coming in at noon. As we ran in the harbor, I just happened to be watching the meter & the gauge was fluxuating between 8 & 3 GPH. I have a spare 6 gallon tank on the stern step, preplumbed into a Tee with shut-off valves. I had the son switch the valves & the motor never knew it was running out of gas. The meter had picked up the low flow before the carbs ran dry.

Searun1

Seaman

How difficult is the Navman to hook up? is this something better left to a mechanic? I have ok skills working on the boat. The navman 2100 series certainly looks affordable anyway?<br /><br />Searun1

Dunaruna

Admiral

If your comfortable doing wiring then its a piece of cake. The sensor cuts into the fuel line - couldn't be easier.<br /><br />Your motor isn't fuel injected is it? These units don't suit fuel injection.<br /><br />Aldo

Searun1

Seaman

Thanks Aldo for the info. My engine is carbureted so it should work. I will have to order one up here. So it just fits right into the fuel line like a fuel filter would?<br /><br />searun1

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by Searun1:<br /> So it just fits right into the fuel line like a fuel filter would?<br />searun1
Yep, did mine about 12 months ago, best toy I every fitted. I've got mine interfaced with the GPS. It gives me MPG, GPH, (or in my case litres & kilometres), fuel used, fuel remaining, average fuel usage per mile (or knot or kilometre), fuel required for remainder of trip, fuel required for return journey etc,etc.... Excellent way to accurately adjust your trim for the 'sweet spot'.<br /><br />Without the GPS you still get all the features less distance calculations. <br /><br />The only thing needed for the computer to work accurately is an exact full tank capacity, not a guessed-amation.<br />I filled my tank initially with a measuring jug and entered that into the computer - from that point on it measures everything very accurately. You only have to do this once. Thats it.<br /><br />Aldo

Searun1

Seaman

Just found this original post. I was searching in another area. Does the sensor need to be mounted onto a surface to keep it in place or can it be plumbed into the fuel line without having to be vertical? Any other words of advice concerning mounting would be appreciated.<br /><br />Searun1

whiteman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mount it between the filter and the motor. It doesn't need to be "mounted" just securely tied. I have it stable with plastic cable ties, hooked on to another cable, so it doesn't move. It took me about 30 minutes to install it. Mine didn't need calibration for the accuracy I'm after (+-5%).<br /><br />As per Dunaruna, great piece of boat equipment for a sensible price.