Rodbolt, help please!

porknose

Cadet
I have a 130 hp 1991 Yamaha that was rebuilt not too long before I bought it. When I start it up cold it seems to fire up just fine. It runs fine at all speeds. Most of the day of fishing it is usually fine on restarting. Starts up fine if it's still hot or warm after a drift. BUT, sometimes it seems to take a lot of cranking to get it started. Seems like it's that period, between hot,or warm, and cold. I also noticed the last time it didn't seem to fire up, I pinched the flexible gas hose to the motor over itself as to shut off the fuel from the tank to the motor and it fired right up. Can you give me any ideas? My only idea is that sometimes it gets too much fuel? Maybe thats why it fired up when I held the gas line pinched shut. Thanks if you or anyone else has an idea to try.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rodbolt, help please!

hello<br /> sounds like some possible fuel system contamination. I would start by double checking all the "link and synch" stuff. check pickup timing and carb adjustments. my 120 OMC requries lifting the warm up lever to start even when warm. its been that way since 95 that I know of. once started it will idle for stripers all day. I could play with the jetting but its esier to lift the warm up lever.are you lifting the warm up lever before restart or are you starting it at a dead idle?<br /> ill also need nore information about how it idles once it restarts.<br /> good luck and keep posting