1993 225 - Shift Shaft

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
With the corroded shift shaft having come up in several other posts, I suspect I have the same problem after 11 years in the salt. Questions:<br /><br />Where is the best place to inspect? I will be pulling the lower unit this winter to rebuild the water pump. Can I replace it then? Or does more have to come apart?<br /><br />What are the ramifications of leaving this alone? The shifting is as smooth as when it was new so it's not affecting me yet.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1993 225 - Shift Shaft

You can inspect the shaft when you pull the gearcase. The powerhead has to come off to replace it.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> the normal spot to inspect is just above the exhaust housing and just below the lower mont yoke. you will see a small gap with a rod running thruogh it. if it is hour glassed its going bad. although the last one I did rusted through just below the power head and gave no warning of failure.<br /> good luck and keep posting

Sea Mitch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rodbolt<br />The Fluid Film fix you recommended for my trim gauge sensor worked great! (Thanks!) Could it be used here to slow down the rust on the shift shaft?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

cant hurt but once its starts rusting it wont stop.<br /> good luck and keep posting