1989 suzuki 200 compatibility

thevinstigator

Recruit
I own a 200 suzuki outboard with a cracked lower unit right along the center line with prop nut, will the lower unit from a 1994 200 suzuki swap out? Are most of the other parts interchangable?Found a good deal on a used 1994 computer controled motor with a scored cylinder, will my powerhead fit on this motor, or can I only use it for parts?Thanks for the help. Vinny

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1989 suzuki 200 compatibility

Yep, it will all interchange. I had a lower unit split like that from an '89. I had it welded a couple of times, finally just drilled a stop hole and ran it. Both sides of mine cracked. It never got up to the grease chamber so I quit worrying about it.<br /><br />About the only real change they made to the metal of the engine was that for a few years in the mid 90' I think they used single plug heads for a while, but when the last 225EFI rolled off the line it had dual plug heads, just like the early 150's, 175's, and 200's. You know, if you keep an eye open on E-Bay all sorts of Suzuki parts show up there and sell for very little money. I've seen lots of blocks, crank/rod/piston sets, cylinder's, heads, and once even a complete fuel injection system. It might be easier for you to just replace the bank of cylinders if you ran across one.

thevinstigator

Recruit
Re: 1989 suzuki 200 compatibility

Thanks for the info, the motor that is for sale is a 94 200 suzuki that runs pretty good(scored cylinder and all)he is selling the whole kit for $500 is it worth the trouble to put my powerhead on it, mine runs OK just a little trouble with maintaining speed it seems that any position that I put the throttle it constantly speeds up or slows down. the only problem I have with the motor is this and the cracked lower. I would probably be in need of a new lift motor for my engine soon , as mine is a little sluggish under power. Thanks