Yamaha F50 won't reach max RPM

dberk7555tully

Recruit
My F50 won't reach the recommended max RPM at WOT (5000-6000.) It WILL reach max RPM while in neutral (pushing just the throttle lever up.) However, while in gear it only gets to 4300 RPM at WOT. <br /><br />I have already - <br />- Prop'd down to the lowest pitch offered for this engine (which got me from 3000 up to my current 4300 RPM) so lower pitch is not an option. <br />- Had compression checked before I bought it.<br />- Checked the throttle cable to ensure it was pulling everything wide open - it was. <br /><br />It is also prone to stalling under acceleration (in gear) unless you accelerate slowly.<br /><br />Any ideas?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha F50 won't reach max RPM

hello<br /> if all you desire is RPM toss the prop in the creek.<br /> the first thing you must do is to run the motor with a test wheel or on a dyno to insure there is no engine problems. if it wont turn up with test equipment then I would inspect the carbs.<br /> good luck and keep posting

myriopod

Cadet
Re: Yamaha F50 won't reach max RPM

How about simply checking compression, that should be one of the first things I would do.