WHICH ONE WOULD YOU PICK?

KEITH VIERE

Cadet
1998 STRATOS 285 PRO ELITE WITH 98 JOHNSON 150 FICHT, OR 1999 JAVELIN 20DC RENEGADE WITH 225 JOHNSON HIGH OUTPUT. WHICH WOULD YOU PICK? ALL FEED BACK INVITED.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: WHICH ONE WOULD YOU PICK?

Which one is faster?? :D I'm not up to date on the newer motors but I know John/Rude has some problems with the FICHT motors so if the 225 is a carb'd motor thats the one I would pick.....My 2 cents worth...

6MISFITZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pick the one that has been very well maintained, where pride of ownership shows and what best fits your needs. <br /><br />The guy / lady, who has an owners manual, model brochure, plus an engine / outdrive manual even though the marina does the service and has detailed receipts of his boat since day 1 is probably the owner of the boat you want to buy.<br />Take a ride on the water and check the hull on the trailer if possible too.<br /><br />What ever you decide on, make sure you spend an extra $ 100.00 - 200.00 to have a marine mechanic give it a quick fitness inspection on all systems. This money spent now will pay dividends in the long run. Trust me on this one.<br /><br />Good luck,<br />Mike.

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Johnson Fichts 150hp to 175hp from 1998 to 2000 had many problems, including replacement of heads, correct indexing of spark plug, carbon deposits, etc.<br /><br />Since Bombardier doesn't warranty anything below 2000, I would be careful with that motor. I had one I was going to rebuild and keep myself, after I read many posts on this forum (look OB section) I decided to re-sell it.<br />I'd go with 225.