1989 yamaha excel

boston2

Seaman
taking the lower unit off i have snapped the head of the bolt located under the trim tab,appears to be corroded and now has welded its self to the casting of the lower unit so it wont come off,thinking i will have to warm area around bolt with oxy/act torch . any thoughts from some who has done this before

huanca

Cadet
Re: 1989 yamaha excel

use a lot of wd40 or brake fluid and patience. try a syringe to get into all the crevices. do not rush it. avoid the heat as long as you can. try making a notch and use a screw driver. there is no easy answer to this. let the fluids act overnight and try again in the morning. try srewing both ways. eventually it will loosen.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> that is another tapered hole.<br /> no amount of oil in the world will help. use a hacksaw and run between the lower unit and the exhaust housing. should have used oxy/acetylene before snapping the head.<br /> good luck and keep posting

tryan

Seaman

b-p blaster is a thousand times better than wd-40.

boston2.

Recruit

rodbolt ,it was one of those bolts (all the others came out no problem )wasnt even pulling hard,anyway the joint is so tight(no gap at all) do i just start cutting .then what is the best way to remove whats left of the bolt in the upper casting. Thanks for your help