Another darn prop question

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All<br />I decarbed my 91 DT40 today and I think it all went ok , got a couple of questions. Used merc powertune for the job and used up a whole can. It still looks pretty black and crappy on the pison tops, definatly less buildup . Use another can or leave it a while and see what happens ?<br />Anyhow got it all thoughly warmed up and pushed the throttle all the way up , got it to peak at 6000 rpm for a few seconds. i always had a suspicion it was underpropped. I've got the standard factory suzuki prop on this motor 11.5 inch diameter and 13 inch pitch . I want to replace it and the diameter for a 15 pitch prop varies 11 x 15 for a Solas and 10 x 15 for the Vortex. I use the motor for pushing a 15ft ali boat at WOT for inshore harbour fishing for 45 minutes each way ( no skiing) , any ideas which would be better for me, the Vortex is cupped.

mrn714

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Another darn prop question

With a 40, I would not over prop. I would tend to stay within a few degrees of the original as Suzuki designed the engine with the bet push for the power.

huanca

Cadet

For efficency go to the largest diameter you an fit, then choose the largest pitch you can turn at WOT. The 11 dia x 15 pitch is definitely the best bet. Choose SS if you can afford the difference over AL.

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool , thanks guys.