Impeller problems

Wizard30

Recruit
This weekend I had the overheating buzzer go off and the motor power down, 2001 f40Y. The water wasn't pumping out, so I removed cowling and played with hose and got to pump again, but only on idle or first position. As soon as I added speed stopped pumping. Yamaha dealer said definately impeller, says the 4 strokes was a terrible design. I have one on order and going to replace myself. Does this sound like impeller and is there anything I should know about replacing.

tryan

Seaman
Re: Impeller problems

pretty simple job, but you need to use the proper thread coatings on the threads and torque the bolts properly.<br /><br />you may need to replace the housing if you let it get too hot.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

easy job. I wonder about the design comment. yamaha uses the same design as almost all others and has for 25 years or so. the 2 and 4 stroke pumps are all but identical. buy the shop manual as well as a pump kit. and have you ever started this motor out of the water? 30 seconds with no water can cause a pump failure.<br /> good luck and keep posting

gutshot grouper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When you drop foot on motor, you will see the pump body, which is secured with several 10mm bolts, if you slide the pump body off, you will readily see the condition of the impeller the usual cause is worn out blades, but I had the keyed hub spinout on a three year old impeller one time.Best to coat bolts with Neverseize , which is a mix of aluminun powder and grease, good luck,, Gutshot in Raleigh