1989 Suzuki DT200 No spark on 3 cylinders...

R_Andersen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1989 DT200 V6 that has no spark on the port bank of cylinders yet the starboard bank of 3 is fine. I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what could cause a loss of spark to all 3 cylinders on one side at the same time? I tried doing the resistance checks for the pulsar coils and the charge coils and they seemed fine, but i wasn't able to do any of the output tests. <br /><br />Thanks for any help,<br />Rob A.

mrn714

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1989 Suzuki DT200 No spark on 3 cylinders...

May be CDI, Try using 1 on 3, if spark, CDI bad.

R_Andersen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info Thom. When you say try 1 on 3 what exactly do you switch? The pulser coils or something else? <br /><br />Thanks again,<br />Rob

R_Andersen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oh, one more thinbg regarding this problem. The loss of spark started when I removed the voltage regulator to replace it since I have no charge from this motor. Once I found out the cost of a new rectifer/regulator I decided to leave the bad one in place and just charge the batteries off of the starboard motor (I have twin DT200's on the boat). <br /><br />In order to remove the regulator, I had to disconnect the voice warning computer and disconnect the charging system wiring and the low oil warning reset switch wiring. I double checked that everything is hooked back up correctly but i'm wondering if something I did when I removed and reinstalled the regulator thatcould have caused the problem? <br /><br />Also, could having no charge (bad regulator I believe) cause the lack of spark?<br /><br />Thanks for all the help,<br />Rob A.

mrn714

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now you are talking about a problems for which I have no info for you. My thought was that you have a bad CDI, but if you have removed and reinstalled electrical components, and suspect a bad rectifer, I would put my effort into investigating that further. The manual gives that procedure.

R_Andersen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info Thom. Maybe if you get a chance you could look at my other post about the low oil warning. Appearantly, another member had the same problem (no spark on 3 cylinders) and it was due to the low oil warning being active. Since I disconnected and reconnected the low oil warning switch I'm wondering if I may just have to reset it, but I'm unsure what the procedure is.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Rob

R_Andersen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, it looks like I found the problem. I disconnected the Low Oil Warning module and now it has spark on all six cylinders and seems to run fine. I'll know for sure this weekend when I can take it out.<br /><br />-Rob