89 Suzuki Spirit 85

Socko_220

Recruit
Trying to fix my 89 Suzuki Spirit 85. Starts fine but after giving more throttle it seems like its missing a cylinder. Compression, spark plugs, carb, and everyting seems fine. Hear that there is a black electrical box the is a common problem with this model. Just wondering if anyone can give me a little help.<br /><br />Thank you.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 89 Suzuki Spirit 85

Don't know what exactly the problem is, but outside of a bad spark plug, contrary to what you heard I believe that the Suzuki ignition systems are said to be pretty bulletproof. Not that they can't fail but I would examine your carbs first. Mikuni carbs must be surgically clean. You cannot tell a carb problem just by looking at the outside. It is the internal orifices and jets that count and you can't often see the problem there anyway. Pull your carbs and do a complete cleaning/rebuild with a rebuild kit AND carb cleaner AND compressed air.

D

DJ

Re: 89 Suzuki Spirit 85

Ditto jimd. The Mikunis must be spotless (inside).<br /><br /><br />Also, check the spark plugs. Does one look real clean? If so, you're ingesting water.<br /><br />That engine would pop a head gasket very easily.