GPS cost

ndemge

Commander
Is there a monthly fee for using GPS?<br /><br />(I don't see how there could be, but then again, don't know anything about it)<br /><br />I'm willing to shell out the bucks.... assuming it's a one time investment.

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer
Re: GPS cost

No fee, I suggest buy a unit with a large screen, it's much easier to read while under way.<br /> Alao purchase a set of power cords that you can either plug into a computer or just practice with when the unit is off the boat.<br /> This is in lieu of messing with the unit while on the boat. Practice makes perfect.<br />Example, I once had a very good hand held,bracket mounted, but in a fog condition, I had to slow down or stop in order to enter my next WP. With the larger screen ,it is easier to do.<br />You can buy some nice units for @ $400.00+, I own a Raychart for 4 seasons, and would'nt part with it!

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

My handheld GPS has a fee. I have to feed it batteries once in a while :D <br /><br />Kelly Cook

ndemge

Commander

Really more interested for the RV...<br /><br />Hook it to a laptop running map software. Was reading on an RV forum how a guy had his setup. Put in your destination, and it would show you the streets on on the screen and tell you audibly when each turn was coming up. <br /><br />Going to try to get a good portable that I can take out of the rv and move right to the boat when I get to the ramp

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, KCook.<br /><br />I had the fee problem for a while with my handheld. <br /><br />I got NiMH rechargable batteries and a plug-in charger at Radio Shack for about $30 and now it not only runs a lot longer than it did with alkalines, but completely recharges overnight. <br /><br />I have saved several times the $30 by no longer needing to buy alkalines. :)

highandry

Cadet

there is also a kit that converts your laptop to gps.. Was looking for cables on ebay and ran across the kit for laptops... right around $100. but, not sure about maps for it... but, I'm sure they got them out.<br /><br /> highandry

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Hey,<br /><br />I was hunting for the same but ended up with a handheld GPS (Garmin GPS II plus) that conforms to the interface of all the PC programs.<br /><br />This way I have a standard GPS for boating/hiking that also works as a GPS reciever for the PC. Sends signals to AutoRoute +++ and works great.<br /><br />I can plan a cruise on the PC and upload the waypoints to the GPS for use when sailing. Seems to be the best alternative to a mapping device. Could bring the laptop when sailing but really doesn't feel the maritime environment is too good on it.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Alright, a laptop kit. When you get water on the laptop, I would be happy to provide service, just post and I'll give an estimate. Seriously, on a large boat in a protected environment, it would be ok, but I would never suggest it. Also, if used on salt water it would be bad because of the salt water mist. On most high end laptops, they have a fan to pull cooling air in that would pull moisture in. There is an exception though. panasonic makes a tough book that is competely sealed and can stand drops to the ground. Expensive, but if you already have one or need to use one on the boat, then go for it. Bet you can't tell I run a computer service department. Boy do I have the stories, but that would be for another board. Honest, water only slightly dripped on the keyboard.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Yup. And that was why I ended up with the Garmin, interfacing it to the laptop in the car or at home but does'not bring the laptop when on the water. <br /><br />The laptop/GPS-mouse solution is OK but why aim for that when the mentioned setup gives you the best of both worlds?<br /><br />Check ebay and see how little the price differs.