How much power for tubing?

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer
I have an older 15' runabout with a '72 50 hp. I have a 50/50 split for tubing. Do I have enough power. With two people I can get to about 32 MPH (radar gun checked) and maintain plane at slightly under 2/3 throttle. I don't have a tach but I think I'm turning proper RPM at WOT. <br /><br />I tried waterskiing with it and I can get an experienced 160 # water skiier up but couldn't get a 140 # first timer.<br /><br />Tx.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: How much power for tubing?

You have plenty of power for Tubing! Put a Doelfin on there and you will plane much faster and be able to pull skiers better, also!

rogerwa

Commander

Get the biggest diameter tube you can. It will plane easier..

93evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Once tubes get going there is not alot of drag so you should be ok with your current set-up.Tubes are typically only pulled at about 20 to 25 mph.Also,at start-up you shouldn't experience the drag that you get with a skier since there is a larger surface area in contact with the water and therefore you should get up on plane a little quicker.

Jacques321

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry to tell you this but to be honest you're just short of the ideal 70 HP minimum for pulling skiers.<br /><br />At 50 HP you will struggle with beginners and heavier people, but tubing shouldn't be a problem.

wboard1979

Cadet

I am 200lbs. and I have been pulled up by a 14 0r 15 ft. king fisher 79' model w/25hp. evenrude also 79' model while hydrosliding, wakeboarding,and tubing. But haven't tryied skiing behind it. doubt it could pull me up. you should't have any problem with pulling a tube behind you boat.

longdude17

Seaman

me to i have a 25 evinrude behind a 14 foot bateau, and it pulled me right out of the water and I skied all day like that. SO i am sure that your boat will do fine.