Overheat now cannot go over 4000 rpm

Mark Kozikowski

Recruit
I searcged these lists for an answer and tried all suggestions. Here is my problem.<br />i have a 150 Yamaha, 1988.<br />It was running fine, then I ran into some seaweed and the engine overheated.<br />Cleared that up, and replaced the water pump and thermostats.<br />Now I cannot get the engine over 4000 rpm.<br /><br />I have performed the following:<br />0 - new water pump and thermostats<br />1 - rebuilt carbs<br />2 - gas additives ("ring free")<br />3 - second source for gas (6 gal tank and new hose)<br />4 - new plugs<br />5 - new fuel/water filter/seperator<br />6 - checked the pulsar coils (all 3 have perfect ohm readings)<br />7 - compression 115 to 120 in all cyls<br />8 - re-seated hightension coil grounds<br /><br />I welcome any suggestions.<br /><br />thanks in advance,<br /><br />Mark

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Overheat now cannot go over 4000 rpm

If the engine seems to be running correctly below 4000 ROM's with no missing or surging, try disconnecting the RPM limiter to be sure the conrol unit does not have a problem. It will be the unit at the bottom of the bracket containing the CDI. Remove the white wire running from it to the control unit to remove the limiter. Only remove that wire and tape off for the test.