What props for DT200?

R_Andersen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm looking to pick up a set of 15x17 stainless props for a pair of 1988 DT200's and I was wondering what shaft size and spline count I need? I'm wondering if other props will fit or if they are suzuki specific?<br /><br />Thanks for any help,<br />Rob

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What props for DT200?

There are lots of props around for them, but I don't know how many 15x17's I've seen around. I was using a 14.25x17 on a DT-200, but actually I ran quite a few props on that engine over the years. I had a 15, 17, and 19" Michigan Wheel Rapture, a Suzuki 20, 22, and 24 on it, and finally a Power Tech 14.25x16 4-blade. Oh, and I also have an older Michigan Wheel prop with no model name, but its a non-vented 14.5x19 (or maybe 20) with lots of rake. Its just a large gearbox 15 tooth spline. Most of the big V-6 props will work I believe, I know a guy who runs a Merc prop on his DT-225 and I know one of my old props ended up on an Evenrude. You might have to use some sort of spacers but that's all.<br /><br />By the way, if you find yourself looking at or comparing with Suzuki props don't forget that they overstate their pitch by two or three inches. A Suzuki prop in 20 pitch will act like anyone elses 17 inch.<br /><br />Thom

R_Andersen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok thanks. Thats interesting about the suzuki props. I have twin DT200's and I'm running 14.25x17 aluminum props that I believe are Suzuki's and I'd like to try and find a pair of stainless props for the boat. I'm actually running about 5600-5700 at WOT partially loaded right now so I'm actually considering 14.25x19 but someone else recommeded 15x17 in stainless for my setup.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Rob

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I wonder what those aluminum props were originally made for? I only ask because as far as I know no one has ever made an aluminum prop and marketed it specifically for Suzuki. Of course Suzuki never made an aluminum prop for those engines, they all came with stainless props included and your dealer was supposed to bolt on the right one for you.<br /><br />Go with the 17" prop in stainless. They are stiffer and will hold your RPM pretty close to where it is now, which is right where you want it. If you find that 17's run a little fast for your tast you can always have a little more cup bent into them to bring it down a bit and in the process it would probably further reduce your bottm end slip a bit too, not that slip should be much of a problem spinning 17" props.<br /><br />Thom