150 Yamaha shift rod replacement-help

titelines

Recruit
Does anyone know of an easy way to replace the shift rod. <br />It's a 1984 150 Yamaha 2 stroke.<br />The shift rod corroded and sheared off about mid section. I've removed the lower end and would like to know if there is some way of re & re the shift rod WITHOUT removing the powerhead.<br />Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 150 Yamaha shift rod replacement-help

NO. You will have to pull the powerhead. Sorry no other way.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

prayers help<br /> as does oxy/acetylyne. usually I have to cut off the power head. if its to corroded scrap it.<br /> good luck and keep posting

titelines

Recruit

Hey,<br />It wasn't that bad at all! Had trouble with a couple of bolts, but soaked them with penetrating oil overnight and the head popped off (I had to pry gently with a block of wood).<br />I saved a ton of money and it runs perfect!<br />I would suggest anyone could do this job in a day or a couple of evenings.<br /><br />Would of posted sooner, but this is prime fishin' season, so, got to go!

RodBolt,<br />I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM RIGHT NOW. HELPING SOMEONE REMOVE A 150 87 YAMAHA POWERHEAD. ALL THREE PORT BOLTS CAME OUT THE STARBOURD SIDE ALL THREE BROKE OFF EVEN WITH OX AND ACYT. i HAVE HEATED AND BEAT AND FRAMMED AND PRIYED. ANY SUGGESTIONS. I CAN NOT EVEN GET A BIG ENOUGH CRACK ON THE STARBOARD SIDE TO GET A HACKSAW IN THERE. I AM TO THE POINT OF CUTTING THE MIDSECTION AND GETTING ANOTHER ONE. OR TELLING HIM TO SCRATCH THE WHOLE THING. TWO BAD CRANK SEALS ANYWAY. ANY SUGGESTIONS ANYONE? SHOULDNT THE BROKE OFF BOLTS COME UP WITH THE POWERHEAD? PS I GOT THE THREE ON EITHER SIDE, THE TWO IN THE BACK, THE SHIFT SHAFT BRACKET AND THE TWO SMALL BOLTS UP FRONT AND ONE NUT ON THE PORT SIDE FRONT. DID I MISS ANYTHING? I NOTICE ANOTHER BOLT ON THE STARBOARD FRONT BUT IT DOES NOT APPEARTO HAVE A NUT OR ANYTHING IS THAT THREADED ALL THE WAY THROUGH?