Suzuki or Yamaha??

jsnyder

Recruit
I am purchacing a 2005 Palmer Tiderunner 195 but haven't decided on what to power it with. I have concidered a Yamaha 150 HPDI 2-stroke, Yamaha 150 Four stroke, and Suzuki 140 Four stroke. I am an avid waterskier and fisherman so it is important for the engine to be able to get out of the hole quickly as well as idle for long periods of time without loading up. I was leaning toward a Yamaha 150 four stoke over a Suzuki due to the larger displacement of the Yammy. I have been reading about problems with the new Yamaha four strokes, however, and am a little concerned. Do the Yammy 2-strokes have similar problems? Will the HPDI be able to troll okay without the 2-stroke smell and loading up? Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

JRJ

Commander
Re: Suzuki or Yamaha??

I would go with the 150 4-stroke. I haven't heard of any problems with it or the Honda 150. The Suzuki is a very good motor also. I'd put the max HP the hull is rated for. I'm not a 2-stroke fan. Let us know what you go with and good luck.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ditto JRJ.<br /><br />Yamaha seems to have solved the "gas in oil" problems that plagued the F80-F115 4 strokes, and I have heard of no problems with the F150.<br /><br />I really like the Suzi/Johnson DF140 for its light weight and reliability, but I think the Yammy F150 has the cubic inches to more than make up for the difference in weight. For your wants, cubic inches are important.<br /><br />If the Tiderunner can handle it, I would consider the 200HP V6 4 strokes from either Yammy or Suzi.<br /><br />Either engine will be quiet and clean compared to most 2 strokes and will idle all day without complaint.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What problems with the new Yamaha 4-strokes? News to me. Can you be more specific?<br /><br />Those are all good (and expensive engines). Watch out for the weight of the 4-strokes.<br /><br />The Suzuki dealer network is not very extensive should you have a problem....

Ripsnort

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm running a 2004 Suzuki 140 4'er and so far (40 hours of running) I'm happy with it. Very quiet, and good speed (on a 20 ft. Campion 542, and a 21 pitch prop, I can get 45 mph without redlining it)

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think the Suzuki 140 4-stroke is the most reliable outboard on the market. I wouldn't even be looking at any other motor if I was in the market for anything in the mid-100-horsepower range. By the way, I have great respect for Yamaha motors, and one of them would certainly be my second choice, so you aren't going to be making a mistake no matter which way you go.<br /><br />Thom