New boat question, please help

blupitlover

Recruit
Hello, I am looking into buying a new center console boat for the family. I will use it for primarly fishing in Mobile Bay and surrounding beach areas. My family will join me on most occasions. I sell cars for a living and am used to doing LOTS of research on a 20 thousand + purchase. My question is this: with the 100 + makes, how can I narrow down my search? I know my budget range, but the MSRP's are not listed on the boat I pick out at the manafactuers website, so I dont know if I can afford it or not? I hate to go to fifty marinas and hassle a salesperson, but I need to know how much the boats are? Where can I find this info?<br /><br />Also, I want a HONDA Engine, I sell Hondas, and want a Honda Outboard. I know some disagree, but that is what I want. It seems like the few salespeople I have talked to were board with my wants/needs, just did not care... One said, I dont sell Hondas, only YameeHaw. So, say I wanted the Robalo R190, I really like, I cant get a Honda Motor on it? I am really quite frustrated with it? Is there some kind of consumer reports for boats available? <br /><br />Thank You in advance for any help you can give me. I just want to buy a boat...

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: New boat question, please help

Welcome to iboats....there are a couple of ways to get an idea of values. You can check out nada web site, I think they offer values for new boats, they do for pre-owned.Check out boat trader online, and the boats for sale sale linc here on iboats.You can buy a boat without the motor, and have it instaled after.<br /><br /> good luck<br /> Jim

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

The January issue of both Go Boating and Sea magazine (same publisher) features a Buyers Guide listing all new boat models. Prices are listed where makers supply them. See if your library has either magazine.<br /><br />Robalo is a fancy boat, priced higher than several other brands.<br /><br />Nothing wrong with Honda, very nice motor. Actually this simplifies your search greatly. As only a few of your dealers will carry Honda, and they in turn will carry only a few brands of boats. Instant short list! Here is Honda's web page for finding your local dealers -<br /><br /> http://www.honda-marine.com/dea.aspx <br /><br />Kelly Cook

blupitlover

Recruit

Thanks for the help. The Mobile boat show is coming the end of this month. I will have my eye out. Are the deals any better at the boat shows, or is it a gimmick?

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Different builders may or may not see the need for incentives to fill their order books. Different dealers have different marketing strategies as well. So boat show deals are unpredictable. Here is another good thread - Boat Show Deals <br /><br />Kelly

blupitlover

Recruit

lol, just got finished. That sure shed a little light to my evergoing problem. This sure is a great forum... Thanks KCook.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Robala, Sea Ray, Ranger, for a few. Lots more there.<br /><br />If you go offshore exclusively, you want the deep v with lifting strakes or a deep v padded (Preferable for me). If you want to bay fish and do offshore you will have to get a flat rear....trying to remember what the guides in So. Louisiana (Lafitte) use. Problem with that however is that it is rough in the chop.....can't have your cake and eat it.<br /><br />What's wrong with Honda.? Do you think for one minute that Mr. Honda would let his reputation go to pot over a palty outboard? I don't think so.<br /><br />Mark