Rogue Wave

Uncle Dave

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you are out on the briney blue and a rogue wave starts to bear down. Provided you have time to do some evasive action, what would it be.<br /><br />Old Uncle Dave

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Rogue Wave

Power up then quarter it bow first. And you better be dawning a life jacket during this if its a biiiiiiig wave. :eek:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

My rogue wave experience was the bow wave off a super tanker and I was in a 13 ft boat. As stated, quater it, adjust speed to keep the bow up, not too much in my case so that I wouldn't plow into the next wave (3 of them).<br /><br />The waves were so big that the trough swallowed my boat, then I was on top of the world. Not fun and the next time I saw a tanker coming, I headed the other way and got behind some cover. I didn't take on any water, but it was scarey.<br /><br />Mark

ed/il

Petty Officer 3rd Class

phantoms that is a good video. Not sure how the guy on the bow stayed in the boat. I bet he had a few bruises and needed new underwear.

Bondo

Staff member

:D Great Video,...........<br />I Wonder What happened to Act I,..???..... :D

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

how big do you call a rogue wave? I usually power up and hit them at about 30 knots if I can... :D

Paul Moir

Admiral

LOL, I had a similair experience to Mark. Except it was one of those big ocean going tugs heading along at full bore. Man, those things seem like they can suck up the whole sea behind them!<br />Then I learned here to hit them at about 45 degrees, so you roll over the top rather than slam at 90 or pitch hard.<br />But that was nothing compared to meeting the real thing, kicked up by Fabian a few years ago. Power up, hang on, try to hit it at an obtuse angle, and say yer prayers! :D

phantoms

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a shrimp boat go by as I was anchored doing some night fishing. He was running full bore heading home, which isn't much for a shrimp boat. Him being on the opposite side of the river I didn't expect the waves to be too bad. With it being dark, I didn't notice how big they were until they hit the side of my lil' 16ft. runabout. Defenitely shook things up a bit and caught me by suprise.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

One reason I don't like to night fish. Other reason is seems trouble makers are out, especially when saturday night is your only time to fish, and you never know when one will start shooting at you just for sport, or tear up your truck/trailer.<br /><br />Mark

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Bravo on the video!!! I haven't laughed that hard in a long long time.<br /><br />So how'd these guys wind up on the beach anyway? You'd think they'd get the idea not to do it on the way in. Must have been eat up with the DA.<br /><br />Mark

glasply1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Phantom - thanks for that video. The guy in the bow looked like he was ready to get ejected. No life jackets apparently from the video shot.<br />My big rogue wave no. 1 was being too close to a freighter leaving Puget Sound. no. 2 was playing a salmon while an aircraft carrier went by. Gave me a great ride and put an end to my constipation.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Holy Cr@p, I need new underwear just watching that....

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you can see it....it's not a rogue wave!

glasply1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The definition has been expanded for humor and education.

watered down

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great video...talk about soiling yer shorts, looks like the engine died there after the earlier wave. Wouldn't want to be stuck between those breaks without power!!!!! :eek:

glasply1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Perhaps the definition of rogue wave just means that its' source is unknown, regardless of whether or not someone sees it. At least that seems to be the common understanding of it on the web sites I looked at. There's also Rogue Wave rock band, Rogue Wave Software; the list goes on. I think we have been coopted! Thanks for your input.