MERC 3.0 or MERC 4.3?

guyzmo

Recruit
Hello all, as you can tell by my displayed name, I'm a new boater or should I say will be a new boater soon!! I'm currently shopping around for my first runabout boat and plan on purchasing in the next couple of weeks. I have narrowed my decision down on the Larson SEI 180 Sport (17'6"). I plan to use the boat for a bit of everything: skiing, tubing and afternoon cruising. <br /><br />Now, my concern here is: the boat weighs approximately 2300 lbs and comes standard with a MERC 3.0 (135HP). Is this enough or should I upgrade to a 4.3? I'm aware that a 4.3 would probably have better performance and all, but, what I really want to know is…based on the weight of the boat, is the 3.0 to small of an engine for the boat. Is it just going to rev on high all the time and just burn gas more than anything else? Or is a 3.0 plenty good for a 17'6"?<br /><br />Any input from past (or present) experiences would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thank you.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: MERC 3.0 or MERC 4.3?

Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />If you have the choice, go for the 4.3L. You'd have plenty of fun with the 3L at first, but in a few years you'll wish you'd got the 4.3L. It would also hold better resale value (unless gas gets much higher ... which it probably will). Power is good, but it costs more to get and keep getting. The 3L would save significantly over the years if you used it a lot. I guess it all depends on if you feel the power is worth it or not. The higher the fuel prices get, the more attractive the 3L is.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

When considering the amount of money you'll spend on the boat, if fuel costs are a major concern then the entire purchase may need some rethinking. That said, if you plan on doing skiing and towing water toys and are intent on sticking with the 3.0, buy all means buy/deal on a second prop with a slightly less pitch. That way you have the hole shot you need for towing and the other prop for cruising. Otherwise, go for 4.3, have better resale as suggested, and with the extra power you will be able to cruise with less throttle. You do understand that the term B-O-A-T stands for "break out another thousand" (to steal a term from another member of this forum).

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I have a 18 foot (plus swim platform) SeaRay Bowrider with the 4.3LX motor. I find it to be a good combo, since I have power in reserve when my many inlaws want a boat ride. I would expect the difference in fuel usage would be minor. I will burn 12-15 gal/day on a normal boat ride to the beach, and general cruising. How much fuel will you save with a 3.0L motor, maybe two gallons? The difference in power (205HP vs 135HP) is significant.

watered down

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the Glastron SX 175 (17' 1" and 1975lbs) which is very similar to the Larson. It had the 3.0L volvo. It was a nice 1st boat but I soon wanted to upgrade. It will depend on how many people you plan on having in the boat normally. Our normal load was 2 adults and 2 small kids. It worked fine for cruising and water sports with that. However, when we had 3 adults or more kids, it really had to work. <br /><br />Also, while top speed may not be a issue, on our normal load top end was about 37mph. If you are crusing any distance, it can take some time to get where you are going. Once, we needed to get off the lake in a hurry with a storm coming and it felt like an eternity to get to the dock.<br /><br />Another thing to consider is the 4.3L will actually work less at the same load as the 3.0L so your gas usage should be clser than you think.<br /><br />While I don't want to say go with one or the other, in hind sight I would have gone with the 4.3L. The Larson is a bit heavier also. If you want performance, go 4.3L....if you want economy and less price, the 3.0L will work fine. JMHO

nlain

Commander

I had a 1987 17 foot Sea Ray with 3.0L, it would use 9 or 10 gal gas on my normal day, I now have a 2004 Sea Ray 185 with 4.3L and I use 10 to 11 gal gas on the same trip that I made with the old boat and both engines are carburated which is 130 to 190 hp respectively. My vote goes to 4.3L and if you get MPI you will have 220 hp.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I have a 21 foot 2800 lb dry runabout with a 1980 3.0L. I have two stainless props the 19 pitch gets 38 MPH and the 17 pitch has a better hole shot and reaches 35 MPH.<br /><br />I am mostly a fisherman with lots of salt water use and only a few times pulled skier with the boat but it was find for Single skiers at 25 to 30.<br /><br />I would suggest the 4.3L MPI. The MPI gets better fuel mileage than carburetor. Also starts up faster and runs better with more power.<br /><br />For a saltwater boater like myself the 4.3L means another expensive manifold and riser to replace about every 5 years.<br /><br />I am very happy with my 3.0L but then off shore very few times contditions allow speeds over 20 to 25 MPH. If I was a fresh water boater I think the 4.3L MPI is better way to go.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Well you have pretty well heard it all from the above boaters. <br />I have the 3.0 on a 16 ft and love my boat. I do the prop change thing with heavier loads and 3 person tubing ( I use a 17" pitch for hole shot). I ask my "crew" to sit more in the front or my boat will struggle to get out of the hole if heavier crew members are sitting in the back.<br /><br />So you may need to tweek a bit to get the 3.0 going, but it will do the job. I've never tried the 4.3 in a similar sized boat, but I imagine from the above comments, you will have less tweeking(BS) and more raw power.

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

If you plan on keeping the boat for awhile, buy as much power as you can afford. You will end up using the boat more than you intended to. Trust me! The family will want to go out every weekend. All of them at once. I have the 3.0 on one of my boats. The only complaint? It lacks power with a full boat of passengers. when it's two or three it's fine. Resale value will also be higher with more power.

MRS

Commander

:) 4.3 after you run the boat one season you will be bummed that you did not get the 4.3. Buy now it will save you wishing you had it. :D

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

I have a glastron 175sx(pretty much the same as your larson) with the 4.3 Top speed is well over 50mph and I have no problems pulling 2 people out a once. It will also cruise allday at 30mph and sip fuel just like the 4 banger. You don't have to put the hammer down all the time, but it's fun to have the extra power when you want it.