What does "Hook" in a hull mean?

brownies

Chief Petty Officer
Or, let me re-phrase/explain that....<br />I assume a boat with a hook in the hull means that: It has a concave area from front to back.<br /> If boat was turned upside down and viewed from front to back, there would appear to be a dip in the hull.<br /> I read about people having this problem on these forums, but, am wondering the severity before a person says. "My boat has a hook in it".<br /> My boat is upside down right now getting the hull prepped for paint. <br /> I can start 2' from the transom, lay a 5' straight edge on the hull (from front to back) and can see a low spot "maybe" 1/16" in the middle of the straight edge.<br /> It would never be obvious via "sight" unless this boat was in this upside down position.<br /> Is that enough "hook" to worry about?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: What does "Hook" in a hull mean?

You have a good understanding of what hook is. I doubt that a 1/16" gap will have any effect at all. Anyway there is not much that I know of that you can do about it. If your rig performs well find something else to worry about.

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

I've never performed this boat. Just wondering if that was hook or nothing to worry about?<br /> I can get get it straight, but, it would take quite a bit of extra work and it'd never be seen.<br /> If it's not enough a person would realize performance wise, then I'd just as soon not spend alot of time there.<br /> But, if it stands a good chance of making the boat handle odd, I'll fix it.<br /> Just curious also?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

The hook in the bottom of the boat if it is adjacent to the transom is probably built in by design. Its kinda like having a permanant trim tab installed. Its design is to help keep the bow down. If performance is what your looking for definately consider taking it out, thats one of a few things to do to help improve top speed (if your doing hull and paint work anyway). With the hook out, it takes less trim to lift the bow. Less trim means the prop stays in the water better, which will allow the motor to be run higher on the jackplate. All combined for more top end speed. If you have a need for speed then........

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer

A "real" hook will probably show up in a squirrelly ride with adverse porpoising. If your boat runs out well and trims properly (remembering different setups trim differently), I wouldn't be the least concerned.

Bondo

Staff member

I can start 2' from the transom, lay a 5' straight edge on the hull (from front to back) and can see a low spot "maybe" 1/16" in the middle of the straight edge.
For 1 thing,..... I Think you're Measuring it Wrong.........<br /><br />The Straight Edge should start AT the Transom,..... Not 2' Forward..........

magster65

Commander

QUOTE]For 1 thing,..... I Think you're Measuring it Wrong.........<br /><br />The Straight Edge should start AT the Transom,..... Not 2' Forward.......... [/QB][/quote]<br /><br />I agree with Bondo. When you're on plane it's the last few feet that's in the water.

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

Can't start at the transom. The hull does not run straight back to the transom. At the transom, there is a little "flip" downward. This is designed into the hull.<br /> (looks like a very very small upside down molded in spoiler)...maybe to keep the bow down at very high speeds when not much of the boat is in the water??<br /> This "lowspot/hook" starts about 15" ahead of the transom.<br /> Just wondering if 1/16" is bad or if it's just normal from most any fiberglass mold. Figuring absolute "straightness/lack of waviness" is probably non-existent when dealing with mass manufacturing and fiberglass.<br /> If this was on the side of car, most would never know it. "some" would see it though. I'd see it and It would have to be taken care of.<br /> Then again, if it was a floor pan, it would have to be LOTS worse to even give it a second thought...lol.

flashback

Captain

Is this a bass boat? many have a "pad" built into the bottom of the hull at the stern which is there for the reasons stated above...I think you are OK.......

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The transom area youre talking about is called the "step" or "notched transom". If it has a step, it most likely has a pad. A 1/16" hook in the pad is a pretty fair hook. Lay the straightedge at the back of the pad to about 6' forward. This is the area youre concerned with.<br /><br />A concave in the pad is OK. A concave pad means the pad isnt flat side to side. But it still should be straight front to back. The first concave pad showed up on a Hydrostream Vector.<br /><br />For best top speed you'll want the pad straight and the edges as sharp as possible. As you go out, side to side, from the pad you'll want to take out less and less of the hook. And shorten up the distance from the back to the front. Hook helps get you on plane with minimum bow rise. It also tries to slam the nose down as you use trim to force the nose up at speed. The faster you go the more effect that 1/16" has. <br /><br />To blueprint the bottom you need to start with that 6' on the pad. From that forward point draw a line back to the rear of the outer most lifting strake on each side. That V area is the area you'll be working in. Lots of filling and sanding is involved.<br /><br />The pad should be straight and take out less hook as you work toward that outer strake. Leave the 1/16 hook in the outer strakes to help with getting on plane. Expect some additional bow rise with less hook on holeshot.<br /><br />There was an excellent editorial article on this in Bass & Walleye a few months back by John Tiger Jr.

croSSed

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Old Curmudgeon:<br /> A "real" hook will probably show up in a squirrelly ride with adverse porpoising. If your boat runs out well and trims properly (remembering different setups trim differently), I wouldn't be the least concerned.
What you've described is handling charactaristics not of a hook, but of a "rocker" in the bottom of a boat: A CONVEX shape to the the bottom of the boat, front to back. My 16' runabout has a hook in the bottom. It is designed that way. It isn't much of a hook, but it is a long hook. It runs pretty much the length of the bottom. This has the effect of keeping the bow down, even when the motor is trimmed all the way out. It limits top speed performance, but it eliminates porpoising, and keeps the boat safe at top speed. If the bottom of my boat was straight, it would be really loose at full speed. It would make for a very hairy ride.<br /><br />TG

Gone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quite a few years ago, my father had a Slick Craft fibreglass boat that developed a "hook" from being beached most of the summer under a hot sun. It hooked right where the bottom rested on the sand. It became a porpoising PITA.