50 hp yamaha please help

tori0701

Cadet
I have a leak on a gasket they are two gaskets which is which. After I take off the bolts which plate do I seperate. Do I have to replace both of them and how do I clean the areas and can I use sealant on the gasket.Can I also get the torque specs for 50 hp model#50ETLJ :( :(

tori0701

Cadet
Re: 50 hp yamaha please help

Originally posted by dboys:<br /> I have a leak on a gasket they are two gaskets which is which. After I take off the bolts which plate do I seperate. Do I have to replace both of them and how do I clean the areas and can I use sealant on the gasket.Can I also get the torque specs for 50 hp model#50ETLJ

tori0701

Cadet

Originally posted by dboys:<br /> I have a leak on a gasket they are two gaskets which is which. After I take off the bolts which plate do I seperate. Do I have to replace both of them and how do I clean the areas and can I use sealant on the gasket.Can I also get the torque specs for 50 hp model#50ETLJ :( :(

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Easy dboy. Take a breath. Whenever faced with 2 gaskets for one application, use the one that fits. Generally, you don't need gasket sealer unless the manual suggests it, but for most applications it probably won't hurt. Old gaskets are removed primarily with elbow grease. The key is whatever you use DON'T gouge the mating surfaces. I use a sharp wood chisel at a low angle. But I'm also careful. Some people use Scotch 3M pads in a drill. There is a spray gasket remover but I don't think it works very well. <br /><br />If you haven't already, go to the bottom of this web page and order a manual for your engine. Even the best mechanic needs one. If you're new at this it is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand iboats discussions.<br /><br />Also don't make a new post every time you have a related question on the same problem. I believe this is the 3rd post on your leaking cylinder head water jacket problem.<br /><br />What exactly do you mean there are 2 gaskets. I am not specifically familiar with your engine. Is there a plate sandwiched between 2 gaskets? Or did the gasket split down the middle when you removed the plate. If I have misread your question about the 2 gaskets consider what a gasket is for. It helps to seal 2 mated pieces of metal. Most often they are not reusable. If, for any reason you have to crack the seal on a gasket it usually (unless you just put it on) must be removed and replaced. Gaskets usually stick once they have been heated. If you don't crack the seal and have no reason to suspect a leak leave it alone.

murphy1

Seaman Apprentice

The only thing I can think of that you're talking about it the water jacket plate on the exhaust manifold. There are two plates and 2 gaskets. Don't reuse gaskets, so replace them both. They are only $10 to $15 apiece, so do it right the first time. The torque specs are on the exterior plate. I use the high temp silicone just to hold the gasket in place while assembling, it makes it easier since the gasket won't move around. oh, use a razor blade or something sharp to get the old gasket off. Since you do expose the combustion chanber, make sure you don't get any old gasket material in the engine. good luck, I broke 3 of the 15 bolts, so be careful or you'll be reading the "broken powerhead bolt" forum 3 down like me, haha

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> some 3cyl yammis had a water jacket cover and a head gasket. the head bolts also secured the waterjacket. if you removed one you did both. I clean the surfaces with a 3m pad on a drill. DO NOT USE WIRE. especially if your in saltwater. I then coat everything with perfect seal and use grease or pipe sealant with teflon on the bolts.<br /> good luck and keep posting